Number of Files and Folders within each parent folder.

Discussion, questions and support.
JDN

Number of Files and Folders within each parent folder.

#1 Post by JDN » 30.06.2018, 22:43

I've been using Free Commander for a while now and I love the huge number of options and features. I've never seen a File Commander as robust as FreeCommander before.

But I have one problem that I can't seem to figure out. I know how to get a list of subfolders within a parent folder as well as the size occupied by each subfolder. But I can't find a way to see the number of files and number of subfolders within each parent folder.

When I try to add new colums, I see they are divided in two categories: One category is "FreeCommander" and it contains the two options, "Files" and "Folders". I would have thought these would be the options to chose to show the number of files and folders contained within each parent folder. Under the category "Windows", there are two options, "File Count" and "Folder". I have tried all these options but none of them produce any information about the number of folders and number of files

Can anyone explain the difference between these two categories? When do the options in "FreeCommander" apply? And when do the options in "Windows" apply?

Also, can anyone tell me how to see the number of files and subfolders within each parent folder?

Thank you.

Marek
Author
Author

Re: Number of Files and Folders within each parent folder.

#2 Post by Marek » 01.07.2018, 09:54

The columns from the category "FreeCommander" are faster.
In the release 774 the definition of the "Folders, Files, Items (Files+Folders) columns was extended. New option was added: 'All subfolder levels for columns: Files, Items, Folders'.
Here you can add the Folders, Files, Items columns:
column_profiles.png

JDN

#3 Post by JDN » 02.07.2018, 01:47

Please forgive me as I just woke up and I'm still feeling sleepy.

I went to the DL site https://freecommander.com/en/downloads/

But the only release I can find is 770.

Is Build 774 available now? I'd love to try it as soon as it's available.

Thank you.

Karol

#4 Post by Karol » 02.07.2018, 08:37

774 is the donor version https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtop ... &start=210.
If you use 32 bit version, you must wait for the next beta or for the version 2019.

JDN

#5 Post by JDN » 02.07.2018, 10:39

I see. OK. That is real good.

As it happens, I was so knocked out by Free Commander that I purchased the Donor version and I have it. So I will try it. I should have thought of that myself. But thank you so very much.

By the way, I post using a different name on a User Help board and I made a post there about Free Commander and I thought you might be interested to see it. Here is a link:

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can- ... s.1212265/

JDN

#6 Post by JDN » 02.07.2018, 18:59

I have successfully installed the Donor version and it does indeed give me the number of files and sub-folders in each directory. It's great. Thank you very much.

Unfortunately, I'm feeling kind of foolish because I can't find the window that Marek showed me in his above post - the one that contains the options: "All subfolder levels for columns: Files, Folders, Items".

I know how to get to the Window that lets me "Choose Details". But in Marek's post above, that window is on top of another window that contains the options: "All subfolder levels for columns: Files, Folders, Items". It appears to have the title "Columns - fc_default_view". How can I get to that window?

I've searched for it but I just can't find it. I searched through the menu system as well as the dialog for changing the toolbar but I just can't seem to find that window so that I can check "All subfolder levels for columns: Files, Folders, Items".

Can you help me please?

Karol

#7 Post by Karol » 02.07.2018, 20:59

- Go to "Settings - Column profiles"
- select the profile "fc_default_view"
- click on hammer button

JDN

#8 Post by JDN » 02.07.2018, 21:59

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I'm so sorry to bother you again. I followed your instructions but when I clicked the hammer button, it did show me a window titled "Columns - fc_default_view". But there was no box at the bottom labeled "All subfolder levels for columns: Files, Folders, Items".

At the bottom of the window there were two boxes: Autosize for "Name" column and Show Extension in "Name" column.

I then tried the entry "Add Remove columns" but I still can't find the "All subfolder levels for columns: Files, Folders, Items".

I downloaded the donor version of the installation file on May 24, 2018. I just checked and the name of the installation file contains the Build Number "770". I expected it would contain the Build Number "774". Is it possible that I somehow got an old version? I figured the download page would always contain the latest version. Is it possible the download page was changed sometime between May 24, 2018 and today? That might explain my problem.

P.S. By the way, I like Free Commander so much that I just became a Lifetime Donor. I routinely pay more than $25 to purchase commercial software that is nowhere near as good as Free Commander and I would recommend that anyone who uses Free Commander consider that $25 donation. It's really such a small amount of money for such a fabulous free utility.

Karol

#9 Post by Karol » 02.07.2018, 23:14

After login in the donor area use the link "Current downloads". The last version is 776.

JDN

#10 Post by JDN » 03.07.2018, 00:07

Thank you so much Karol. I finally got the new Donor version.

I am very sorry to have bothered you so much about this small issue and I appreciate your help very much.

I can't believe I had so much trouble trying to find the current version to download. I can now see the total number of files and folders in each folder as well as in all the sub-folders contained in each folder. It may not seem like a big deal to you but it is extremely valuable to me. I have been wanting to find a utility that would do this for a long time now

I hope I won't have to trouble you again for a long time.