How to create a tab for the Documents folder - and then shorten its name?

Discussion, questions and support.
Forez

How to create a tab for the Documents folder - and then shorten its name?

#1 Post by Forez » 16.06.2018, 13:17

I would like to have a pinned down tab with a name as short as possible of Window's Documents folder. In other words: I need my Documents to appear as for example "d" instead of "Document; at least in FreeCommander

And the reason is obvious: to save the precious horizontal space for my other numerous tabs

So far I have tried this methods:

A] Create an ordinary shortcut and then rename the LNK file. Unfortunately dropping a shortcut on the tab area creates a new tab only for the folder from where that shortcut was dragged

B] Tamper with Container; as far as going into a FCC file. All in all you cannot save files to a Container so in the end it would only allow me to read them; thus making this useless 95% of the time

C] Map a folder as a drive with a subst d: C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents code. The folder is then shown as a drive but that drive copies to itself the name of the drive C- and so I would have to adjust that also [which I do not want to]. But even if I change the name to something like "x", the tab for it will look like "D:x (D)"

Does anyone have any other ideas? Is there some way in FC to make the Documents folder appear as very short tab? If not- how about making this a request then: to have a special kind of tab, for which a name could be specified [while retaining the original / valid path]?

I know you can hack the Windows and try to change the name of Documents- but that system name is embedded in so many places, that eventually I would run into problems coming out of it. So that an [hypothetical] option which I do not intend to pursue

And also workarounds of using a Quick Starter or Favorite Toolbar is not an option- I need a tab [and all that a tab brings with itself], not some kind of a shortcut that would have to be followed every time I need an access to Documents or some [hypothetical] script to execute [be it in FC or with a help of a third party software like AutoHotkey]

Forez

Re: How to create a tab for the Documents folder - and then shorten its name?

#3 Post by Forez » 18.06.2018, 14:02

Stupid me

I assumed that this would not be possible in a normal way and did not even bother to check the on-line help; and indulged myself in some workarounds

While all I had to do was to right click the given tab and choose it Properties. And now I can even change its color, without affecting the others

Stupid me

Forez

#4 Post by Forez » 18.06.2018, 14:14

But I can see those individual Properties option lacks one vital user friendly thing: the Apply feature

That Apply that is available for other options- so that you can see changes [of colors] without the need of closing the window in which you are changing them

Forez

#5 Post by Forez » 18.06.2018, 15:07

I also do not understand this limited approach to this feature

If FC is giving the user the ability to change the name of an individual Tab, then why is the name of the Drive still visible? If the user is making up a name of the folder then the user should also have the ability to choose to hide the letter of the drive [only for that individual tab, so that the other normal tabs would not be affected by this pinpoint adjustment]

If I choose "d" or "D" for "Documents" and lock its position on the very left on my left panel, then I will not mistake it for any other folder actually named "d" o "D" or the main folder of the drive D. So right now the FC is just wasting a little of my horizontal space by displaying to me "C:d" instead of just "d" or "D"