FC as Backup tool

#1 Post by bawldiggle » 02.01.2018, 23:23

Is FC a backer-upper :?:

Does FC synch target with source :?:
Does FC preserve all 3 date attributes :?:
- I can live with modified access date if "verification" is used
Does FC verify backup files :?:

Windows "Copy" and "Move" both change date attributes
- other copy-file programs will not create a copy in the same folder as the source, (but Win-Copy will :shock: )

Windows Copy/Move are far from ideal and their behavior varies between Windows Operating systems :roll:

Thank you

H5JCa3y4quRpwN0g

Re: FC as Backup tool

#2 Post by H5JCa3y4quRpwN0g » 31.01.2018, 12:16

bawldiggle wrote: 02.01.2018, 23:23 Is FC a backer-upper :?:
I would not say so. It is a file manager and explorer replacement with great additional usability and features.
bawldiggle wrote: 02.01.2018, 23:23 Does FC synch target with source :?:
Why not read about it in the manual (http://www.freecommander.com/fchelpxe/e ... onize.html)?
bawldiggle wrote: 02.01.2018, 23:23 Does FC preserve all 3 date attributes :?:
I haven't read about it, but you could easily test this yourself. I strongly suppose that FC uses the Windows API as far as possible, and thus will behave like Windows (i.e. the Windows file explorer) in this respect.
bawldiggle wrote: 02.01.2018, 23:23 Windows "Copy" and "Move" both change date attributes
This is not true, at least as long as it concerns files. When you move a file from one folder to another, the file keeps its creation / modified dates. The folders involved might change dates, though. The rules are complicated. You can read about it at Technet / Microsoft website.
bawldiggle wrote: 02.01.2018, 23:23 - other copy-file programs will not create a copy in the same folder as the source, (but Win-Copy will :shock: )
If you would like to use the copies as backup, putting them in the same folder somehow would not make any sense, would it?