Quick viewer colors

Suggestions and feature requests.
rolla

Quick viewer colors

#1 Post by rolla » 29.03.2016, 14:30

Hello,

i am trying to color the Quick viewer, when it shows the content of a folder.

I don't know where to search else. I've tried everything in "Tools -> Settings... -> View -> ..."
At least i have looked through FreeCommander.ini but i have not found anything suitable. The colorcode in the ini file is the next thing i don't know how.

Where can i find more information about that?

I have made a screenshot with some points i would like to change:

Background and Font color (I want to invert them)

Background color of the toolbar

3. + 4.
Background and font colors

It would be great if someone could help me, how to do change that, i am searchin for a time and i am now
Thanks
W7 Pro SP1 64-bit
FreeCommander XE 2016 Build 716 32-bit public beta portable
JRE 8.77 64-bit
Flash 21.0.0.197

joby_toss

Re: Quick viewer colors

#2 Post by joby_toss » 30.03.2016, 07:58

1., 2. I don't think there are settings for the Viewer toolbar or for the Folder view yet.
There are for other views ( http://www.freecommander.com/fchelpxe/e ... rText.html ):

3. Quick filter background color can be changed here:

4. Also no color settings for the Command line yet.

rolla

#3 Post by rolla » 30.03.2016, 10:44

Thx joby_toss,

The settings you have shown in 1. and 2. are in use and have effect, but as you are saying, they does not match in that, after some trying.

Oh dear!

I thought that could be changed in one of the *.ini files. How is the colorcode done? I would try it out, if someone would tell me in which files i have to try a look.

Greetings
W7 Pro SP1 64-bit
JRE 8.77 64-bit
Flash 21.0.0.197

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss » 30.03.2016, 18:52

The color code for that Quick Viewer folder view must be internal, I can't find it in any of the .ini files.

rolla

#5 Post by rolla » 31.03.2016, 14:00

That's unexpected...

I thought that i have seen some styles.... but i think i have something mixed up.

Thanks for your try.
W7 Pro SP1 64-bit
JRE 8.77 64-bit
Flash 21.0.0.197

semicodin

#6 Post by semicodin » 01.12.2017, 04:22

rolla wrote: 30.03.2016, 10:44I thought that could be changed in one of the *.ini files. How is the colorcode done? I would try it out, if someone would tell me in which files i have to try a look.
I am not a programmer in the professional league of those who write applications in C and VBasic etc., just your typical HTML, CSS, Javascript, & PHP home user. I got turned on to this loaded file manager a few days ago and just registered with the forums today. Your's is almost exactly my issue OP: Why are the .INI file background colors reprogrammed with proprietary numerical conventions that have no apparent relationship to the global HEX color conventions used across the web?

This is not a criticism. I have to believe Mr. Jasinski — the author of FreeCommander — is nothing if not advanced in programming generally: FreeCommander is not just loaded with features, the author's affection for his creation is evident in hundreds of little tweaks that combine to produce what I consider a file manager Masterpiece. The use of .INI files is a love letter to the User, making accessible to a novice such as myself customization of the GUI with staggering efficencies.

The author is a generous, smart and very logical programmer, so I hope to understand why he implemented proprietary color codes instead of (let us say) something like C4FFC4. That's the default green you see in File list background color if plain view active: in

Code: Select all

SETTINGS ... View ... File/folder List ... Color/Font
Were there conflicts with styling somewhere? Does it break something? Because when I attempted to custom select a color not from the default 30-color palette — the one with the More Colors... button — I could not get it to stick, even after testing it with a conspicuous color like #808000. I was trying to implement either of two soft background colors I refer to as 'Eggshell' and 'Ivory' with very high luminescence levels but the colors wouldn't assign permanently.

Sorry this got so long!! I'm a writer and it's no coincidence I assure you. :lol:

That is the question.

Zorkoff

Re: Making colors stick

#7 Post by Zorkoff » 01.12.2017, 15:18

After setting a color, custom or regular, be sure to save settings (Tools -> Save Settings).

Also, check out the Tools -> Settings (F12) dialog; Select the General tab on the left and check your choice for "Save Settings on exit"

As for the encoding, I set colors I like, save the settings and then copy the color numbers to a file so I can find them again if something gets changed. I can't figure out the meaning of the color numbers any more than you can (especially when they start with a "-").

semicodin

#8 Post by semicodin » 01.12.2017, 20:50

Zorkoff ... that is what I have been doing. The problem is the background colors are squirrely: they don't save when I select the background colors ►from within the program. That is why I need to 'hard code' the colors by manually editing the .INI file (and then, probably fix the attribute to Read Only so it doesn't shift back).

That is the question.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#9 Post by Dreamer » 02.12.2017, 15:10

semicodin wrote: 01.12.2017, 20:50The problem is the background colors are squirrely: they don't save when I select the background colors ►from within the program.
Could you explain it, please, perhaps start a new topic in Bug reports forum, with the steps to reproduce.