request: copy folder structure

Discussion and questions - donor version.
therealjd

request: copy folder structure

#1 Post by therealjd » 01.01.2013, 09:17

there's a few other file managers that have the ability to copy folders without copying files. I've found this feature to be very useful in my workflow. I'm hoping FC XE could implement such a feature. Anyone else seeing the benefit of that?

Cheers,

Jd...
FC XE 0.760 x86
Win 7 Ent 64bit SP1 |16 GB ram |Intel Core i7-3770
Win 10 Pro Anniversary | 4GB ram

uwee

Re: request: copy folder structure

#2 Post by uwee » 03.01.2013, 12:53

I dont think this is (yet) directly possible in fCXE...

But there is an easy workaround:

a) go in one window of fCXE into the basic folder of the structure you want to copy
b) open the DOS-prompt with CTRL+D
c) write down in the DOS-prompt

xcopy *.* c:\temp /t /e

where "c:\temp" should be replaced with the path of your desired destination (to make it easier copy the path before and insert it...)
d) the complete structure without files is copied!
Uwe

fxp

#3 Post by fxp » 08.01.2013, 12:52

Hi,

You can create a button in your favorite toolbar using Uwee's workaround:
1) create a file called copyFolderStructure.bat
2) in this file I modified a bit Uwee's workaround: %1 and %2 will be replaced at runtime by the left folder and the right folder of freecommander

Code: Select all

xcopy %1 %2 /t /e
REM
(In ".bat" files code is only used if there is a linefeed at the end of the line, so I added a "REM" line to be sure)

3) In free commander go to "Tools>Favorite tools> Favorite tools edit" (the shortcut is shift+ctrl+y)
4) create a new toolbar if there is none (I think in fCxe you need to create at least one)
5) create a new item
  • Name : Copy Folder Structure
  • Program: (find program: the file you created in "1)" copyFolderStructure.bat)
  • Parameter:

"%LeftDir%\*.*"  "%RightDir%" %Dlg%
  • You can add shortcut if you want
Note that the "parameter" line is the one passing the address of left and right folder.
I inserted ' " ' because you might have folder names with spaces.
The %Dlg% code will show a window before starting the script, in which you can check the name of the folders and eventually, cancel the script.

Hope this helps

François

afh

#5 Post by afh » 18.03.2017, 14:04

Marek wrote:From the new FAQ: How to copy folder structure only?
For those who don't use Freecommander as default for copying files, it would be nice to have the option to set and hotkey for "FC-copy dialog", so that in cases like this to have quick acces to filters (btw, this "onlyl folders filter" could be implemented by default into application).

Unfortunatelly, I coudn't find "FC-copy dialog", but only "FC-copy"

Timon

#6 Post by Timon » 18.03.2017, 15:39

In Tools - Settings - File/folder operations - tab General - set "Use FreeCommander" for copy operations.
In Copy dialog (F5) select the defined filter “Folders only”
Follow FAQ http://freecommander.com/en/faq-file-op ... -structure

afh

#7 Post by afh » 18.03.2017, 16:52

Timon wrote:
In Tools - Settings - File/folder operations - tab General - set "Use FreeCommander" for copy operations.
In Copy dialog (F5) select the defined filter “Folders only”
Follow FAQ http://freecommander.com/en/faq-file-op ... -structure
You reproduced that help link.

I was talking about the situation where I want to have more flexibility: that is to set by default copy with Windows, but in the same time to be able to set a shortcut key to the Freecommander copy with dialog, which for the moment is not possible (IF I'M NOT WRONG).

For the moment, in order to have an easy access to "copy only folders", I have to change my default copy application to FC. If it was possible to set an hotkey for "copy with freecommander with dialog", that would bring more flexilibity for the application. But, as far as I can see, only "FC-copy" is available for setting a hotkey.
So what I'm saying is that there should be a "FC-copy dialog" option present in hotkeys :D

Odamn-Ete

#8 Post by Odamn-Ete » 05.06.2021, 10:08

Just something to share with the community.

Kudos to uwee and fxp for pointing me in the right direction!

FreeCommander has the ability to copy only a folder structure, but it entails using the copy dialog and filters. See above for the link to the relevant FAQ page.
I wanted to have a faster way of implementing copying of the folder structure and not have to rely on the existence of a batch file.

Here's my solution, note that I have modified fxp's code into a command one-liner which will work not only from left window to right window but vice versa.
Please note, it works independently of the settings used for copying (Windows or FreeCommander methode).

create a favorite tool:

parameters for copy and paste:

/c xcopy %ActivDir% %InactivDir% /t /e %Dlg%
This solution involves two clicks with the mouse, If you want a one-click solution, delete the <%Dlg%> parameter. I left it in there, so I can check if I'm copying what I wanted to before executing.

Best regards,

P.S. Thanks Marek for putting so much functionality into FC! One can truly create an individual configuration to meet one's personal needs.