CHM help file problems on windows 10 . no images unless refr

Discussion, questions and support.
minsik

CHM help file problems on windows 10 . no images unless refr

#1 Post by minsik » 25.10.2015, 08:02

Strange problem here and seeking any suggestions please.

Windows 10 64 bit desktop with Freecommander XE donor 700 (and all previous versions too)
chm help file is installed along with the program that works fine. However the F1 help file opens the file and displays it with out any image. As images appear on most pages its a problem. However any page with images just need to top menu "option refresh" the page and up it comes with images.

I have "unblocked" the file, and problems also occurs in any other directory too.
I have used hhreg.exe to register the files and again in different locations still do the same thing. I have made sure chm file exits in the install as well as the app/user/local directory as well.

The refresh from within the page right click does not resolve only the menu refresh does it.
Its just downright annoying. Also tried to open up the internet explorer security zones which I believe loads the chm files.

If i use my file search utility "everything.exe" to display a list of chm files they all open showing images including Freecommander.chm. However when opening the file in freecommander with F1 is still opens with no images showing just placeholders until the menu "options, refresh" is applied to each page.

still no joy..

any clues?

-------------```` I found problem. :)

In IE 11 i tried to adjust the cache and kept getting this message must be between 8 and 8 meg. Then noticed there was no cache loaction. Set a cache location and then I could adjust the size. Then the help file opens with images showing.

this real wacky but it resolved the problem. why it did not show up as a problem even with massive chm files except freecommander.chm is beyond me but at least it now works as it is supposed to.

horst.epp

Re: CHM help file problems on windows 10 . no images unless

#2 Post by horst.epp » 25.10.2015, 16:09

Version 700 x64 Works perfect here under fully patched Windows 10.
The help files is displayed with all images regardless of the way to start it.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3296)
Everything Version 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.67
FreeCommander XE 2024 Build 905 64-bit donor

soxo

Re: CHM help file problems on windows 10 . no images unless refr

#3 Post by soxo » 21.08.2017, 23:55

minsik wrote: 25.10.2015, 08:02 Strange problem here and seeking any suggestions please.

-------------```` I found problem. :)

In IE 11 i tried to adjust the cache and kept getting this message must be between 8 and 8 meg. Then noticed there was no cache loaction. Set a cache location and then I could adjust the size.
Then the help file opens with images showing.

this real wacky but it resolved the problem. why it did not show up as a problem even with massive chm files except freecommander.chm is beyond me but at least it now works as it is supposed to.
registered on here to say that this fixed the same problem i had with images not being displayed in chm files on my Win 10 pc. in my case the "INetCache" folder in "C:\Users\PC User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows" was set to read only and so the cache could not be adjusted. thank you very much @minsik for posting the solution to this weird issue.