Favorite Tool Program

Discussion, questions and support.
offpath

Favorite Tool Program

#1 Post by offpath » 18.06.2015, 15:17

What have I overlooked?

In FreeCommander XE 2015 Build 680 public beta I have created a Favorite Tool that doesn't work.
The tool is supposed to use robo- or Xcopy to copy folder structures.

I use a bat file containing "robocopy %1 %2 /e /xf *". I have tested the bat file in a DOS box, using real folder names instead of %1 %2, and it works.

Via Tools>Favorite Tools>Favorite Tools edit I have added an item to an existing Favorites toolbar, "Links", Category <none>. Program Entry points to the correct folder, and to the correct file "copyFolderStructure_freecommander.bat", which does contain the above robocopy command line.

I almost think FreeCommander is not actually running that correct bat file: allegedly activated as a Favorite Tool, the bat file does nothing, except flash what probably is a DOS box.

To check out if the correct bat file was even being activated, I created a test bat. I confirmed that the favorite tool said it was running that test file, but it did not seem to be doing so. The test file consisted only of the command "pause". If run in a DOS box, the test file did just that. But the Favorite Tool just flashed a DOS box and exited it immediately, just as it had with the real robocopy bat

offpath

Re: Favorite Tool Program

#2 Post by offpath » 18.06.2015, 15:50

My last post was simply WRONG.

FreeCommander DOES successfully call up a DOS box for the test bat. It does successfully call up the real bat file.

I had ("invisible") bad character-bytes in the parameter line. When I retyped the line, instead of blindly copying a suggestion off the internet, everything worked as it should have.

Walter Eagle

Re: Favorite Tool Program

#3 Post by Walter Eagle » 19.06.2015, 12:15

Credit to you, Offpath, for the second post.

I've seen many forums where an OP makes a statement and then disappears from the thread while others waste their time trying to solve what was actually a non-existent problem in the software in question.

You've shown the right way here -
  • you'd obviously done some testing before posting
  • you posted
  • you CARRIED ON testing after posting
  • you found the error
  • you posted the solution and 'owned up' to the error
I wish more forum users were like this (not specifically here at FC - anywhere).
Well done

Regards

Walter