Selecting multiple files with - keyboard shortcut?

Discussion, questions and support.
user69

Selecting multiple files with - keyboard shortcut?

#1 Post by user69 » 13.07.2014, 11:17

Hi all,

I'd like to ask about the keyboard shortcut for selecting files (and folders) in FreeCommander XE. I'm using "FreeCommander XE 2014 Build 650".

I used Servant Salamander as my file manager in past, now I've got a new PC and decided to give the Freecomander a chance as it looked very good. So I'm a newbie with FC and kind of a noobish is my question:

How do I select multiple files using a keyboard?

Here's what I mean - main reason I'm using different file manager than Windows Explorer is that I'm a photographer and I need to manage my photos very often. Usually I need to delete photos from the card that I don't want to keep and fastest way is to select them with a key and then delete them all in one click (keypress). Many file managers (Total Commander, Servant Salamander, even the Norton or Volkov Commanders in DOS) use the "INSERT" key for this function.

In FC I haven't found yet how to do this. Of course I know I can select multiple files by clicking left mouse button while I'm holding the CTRL key, but I don't want to use my mouse to select files because it's much slower.

Am I just so dumb or FC doesn't provide this option?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

dsperber

Re: Selecting multiple files with - keyboard shortcut?

#2 Post by dsperber » 13.07.2014, 12:24

First, you should download the latest public beta build 665 which fixes a number of issues.

Second, although I've not used it some searching in FCXE Help points to:

Tools -> Settings -> Select items, and then click on the "NC-Mode (sticky selection)" tab.

Then, according to the documentation in Help:

If NC-Mode is not active (the setting "Select items in NC-Mode" in not checked) the selection of files/folders will be performed as in Windows Explorer. If the hotkeys "Ctrl+Space" and "Shift+Ctrl+Space" will be used for selecting multiple items while in Windows mode , they must be removed from the list of FreeCommander hotkeys (menu item "Tools → Define keyboard shortcuts...").

To enable the selection of items as in Norton Commander, the following settings are offered:

Select items in NC-Mode

This setting activates/deactivates NC-Mode for selection.

If this setting is checked, selection can be made with the "Space" key or the "Ins" key.

If this setting is not checked, selection of multiple items can be done (as in Windows Explorer) by holding the "Shift" key or the "Ctrl" key when clicking on an item.

Extended selection with "Shift" and "Ctrl"

If this setting is checked, the selection of multiple items can be done with the "Shift" and "Ctrl" keys (as is done in Windows mode) in addition to the "Space" and "Ins" keys of NC-Mode.

Select with right mouse button

If this setting is checked, items can be selected by right mouse click. Adjacent items can be selected by pressing the right mouse button and dragging over them.

To view the context menu which is normally activated by right click, use a "long right click".

Go to the next item after selecting with space bar
If this setting is checked, the cursor moves to the next item after selection by "Space" key.

Colors

Colors and borders can be defined as described in the "Color" section of the tab "General".

user69

Re: Selecting multiple files with - keyboard shortcut?

#3 Post by user69 » 13.07.2014, 12:51

Thank you very much, this is exactly what I've been looking for!

Many thanks.