FreeCommander and FoldersPopup

Discussion, questions and support.
JnLlnd

FreeCommander and FoldersPopup

#1 Post by JnLlnd » 20.04.2014, 01:33

Hello Marek and the FreeCommander community,

I'm myself a freeware developer. I heard of FreeCommander from a user of one of my programs telling me that FoldersPopup was not compatible with FreeCommander.

FoldersPopup is a favorite folders manager. Favorites folders popup menu is accessible from any Windows Explorer window *and* from standard Windows file dialog boxes (where this is the most appreciated) by pressing the middle-mouse button or keyboard shortcuts (all this being configurable).

Before today, FC windows were not recognized by FP. Following the suggestion from one of our common users, I added some code to support FC file lists. If you want to test it, you can download version 1.2.5+ here: http://code.jeanlalonde.ca/folderspopup/.

FoldersPopup is developed in AutoHotkey using the Shell.Application COM object (sources here). Not having access to a COM object to control FC, I must rely on keystrokes to change folders in FC (Alt-G, etc.). Not being a regular FC user, I certainly did not tests every possibilities and there may be situations where FP will not behave as expected. Please report any bugs or suggestions in this thread.

Thanks,

Jean Lalonde

wrbird

Re: FreeCommander and FoldersPopup

#2 Post by wrbird » 22.04.2014, 20:30

Thanks for the post, I'll give it a try. Currently I'm using Filebox Extender and it works well. I'm not sure why FoldersPopup is needed for FC since FC already has a favorite folders option. I guess maybe if one is already use to using FoldersPopup, then making this compatible with FC is a nice feature. Again, thanks for the post.

wrbird

#3 Post by wrbird » 22.04.2014, 20:38

OK, I noticed if I activate FoldersPopup when FC window is active the active panel will change to the folder I selected. However, when I have any other window active and select a folder in FoldersPopup the folder opens up in Windows Explorer. How can I get FoldersPopup to open the folder in FC rather than Explorer?

JnLlnd

#4 Post by JnLlnd » 22.04.2014, 20:54

Helo wrbird,

I agree with you that someone used to all FC resources will not necessarily need FP. But FP adds the capability to navigate in (standard) dialog boxes. This may be what interested the user asking for compatibility.

FP changes the FC folders in file list using the Alt-G keyboard shortcut. And it works when the mouse pointer is over one of the two file list panes. If it is not the active list, it will select the list under the cursor, open the address bar (Alt-G) and enter the selected path. I understand that there maybe situations where FP would need additional coding. Let's see it as a start :-)

Jean