Large icons size in Free Commander

Discussion, questions and support.
jakubhojnacki

Large icons size in Free Commander

#1 Post by jakubhojnacki » 06.01.2014, 16:06

Good afternoon Free Commander forum

I've noticed one weird thing regarding Free Commander (2014 XE 650 version tested, but the same happened in two older ones) - its icon size in list view when "Large icons for details and list view" option is switched on. On some systems (examples are Windows XP and Windows 8.1 Professional) it uses registry setting to determine what icon size to use (HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics\Shell Icon Size). The value is 32, but some other can be used as well (for instance - 48 - in old good XP with "Use Large Icons" set). Now, on some other systems (examples are Windows 7 and Windows
8.1 Enterprise) it doesn't react to this setting at all.

I've done a bit of research and I traced registry reads of Free Commander starting. I can clearly see the registry attribute is read on the first group of systems, while it is nicely ignored (not read at all) on the second. I have screenshots of these registry entries if somebody wants an investigation.

Now, I have a couple of questions:
1) Why is there this difference in behaviours? I can't spot any obvious difference of feature of these systems.
2) Why doesn't the Free Commander read these settings? (probably the best answer can be given by the author himself here)
3) Is there any other way of having 48x48 or even 64x64 icons in list view in Free Commander?

That would be a nice feature (especially icons one step bigger than 32x32) on a high resolution screen.

Any suggestions welcome
Jakub

Marek
Author
Author

Re: Large icons size in Free Commander

#2 Post by Marek » 06.01.2014, 22:52

FreeCommander use now only SMALLICON (16) and LARGEICON (I think always 32).
3) Is there any other way of having 48x48 or even 64x64 icons in list view in Free Commander?
I do not see the possibility now, but I could consider it for the future.

jakubhojnacki

Re: Large icons size in Free Commander

#3 Post by jakubhojnacki » 08.01.2014, 10:23

Hi Marek

Thank you very much for your time and your explanation.

That's interesting to me, to be honest, because I clearly have the same Free Commander happily showing 48x48 or 64x64 icons on one operating system and sticking to 32x32 on another very similar (Windows 8.1 Professional vs Windows 8.1 Enterprise). If I trace registry traffic of the Free Commander, I can clearly see it reading the icon size setting when it works. I know it may be a bit unexpected behaviour for you, but there is clearly something telling the list control (or whatever control you use for displaying files) to use different size of icons when LargeIcon option is chosen. So it is not always 32, but I can't spot any obvious rule despite searching on the Internet for a couple of hours.

I can send you screenshots of registry readings and Free Commander showing bigger icons if you want - just as curiosity and a "proof" it actually works (somehow).

And it would be really nice to have this option in settings in some more or less distant feature.

Thank you very much
Jakub