Can't save settings

Bugs and issues.
tenbob

Can't save settings

#1 Post by tenbob » 01.06.2013, 17:47

Hi Marek. I just installed FreeCommander 2009.02b.

I was unable to save my settings from the Extras menu. It was trying to save it in C:\Program Files\FreeCommander which is not allowed and gave an error message.

It looks like it should store the settings in C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Roaming\FreeCommander instead.

I was able to make it work correctly by changing the contents of fcStart.ini. Initially this didn't point to any location. I changed it so it pointed to the AppData\FreeCommander folder and then it was OK. The box shows the contents of fcStart.ini before and after.

Hope this helps, Bob

Code: Select all

[Start]
FreeCommanderIniDir=

[Start]
FreeCommanderIniDir=C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Roaming\FreeCommander

joby_toss

Re: Can't save settings

#2 Post by joby_toss » 01.06.2013, 18:57

FC 2009 is not maintained anymore. Try FC XE: http://www.freecommander.com/fc_beta_en.htm

You can choose where the settings are saved:

tenbob

#3 Post by tenbob » 01.06.2013, 19:22

Hi Joby, Thanks for supplying the answer.

I had not spotted this setting. And I thought it might not work - but it does !!

The path to the settings file is stored in the settings file itself. It sounds like you will go round and round in circles. But it's OK. It must save that path separately from the rest of the settings.

I will now try FC XE like you suggest.

Thanks, Bob

Dreamer
Site Admin

#4 Post by Dreamer » 02.06.2013, 14:50

tenbob wrote:The path to the settings file is stored in the settings file itself. It sounds like you will go round and round in circles. But it's OK. It must save that path separately from the rest of the settings.
The path to the settings is in the file fcStart.ini in the FC install folder.

Code: Select all

[Start]
freeCommanderIniDir=%FcSrcPath%
It's not a bug IMO, moved to General Discussion.

tenbob

#5 Post by tenbob » 02.06.2013, 22:16

Hi Marek, It's nice to hear from the author of this excellent program. Yes. I should have looked at the settings more carefully before I posted my question.

But one thing still puzzles me.

If the program correctly stores fcStart.ini in the user's AppData folder, then why doesn't it just store FreeCommander.ini in the same place by default. That would completely avoid the problem of trying to write to a folder where there is no permission.

Regards, Bob

Dreamer
Site Admin

#6 Post by Dreamer » 05.06.2013, 18:51

Hi Bob,

first - Marek is not Dreamer and Dreamer is not Marek. I'm just a moderator and beta tester of this program.

Now, regarding the issue - FC stores fcStart.ini file in the FC install folder, not in the AppData folder.

I suggest you to try the XE version too.

tenbob

#7 Post by tenbob » 06.06.2013, 14:35

Hi Dreamer,

It's not like that on my PC. I have fcStart.ini and FreeCommander.ini both in the folder ...\AppData\Roaming\FreeCommander.

There are no ini files in the folder C:\Program Files\FreeCommander. And they are not in the "Compatibility files" folder either.

Anyway it's all working fine now, so there's no need for me to keep asking questions. Sorry I confused you with Marek. Thanks for the excellent support from this board.

Bob

Dreamer
Site Admin

#8 Post by Dreamer » 06.06.2013, 20:03

You're welcome!

Don't worry, you're not first. :wink: