[IMPLEMENTED] do quick filter right from hitting letters

Suggestions and feature requests.
LongTTH

[IMPLEMENTED] do quick filter right from hitting letters

#1 Post by LongTTH » 24.01.2013, 16:23

hi all,
I think this feature is somehow great for someone that work with many "prefixed files" like me.
In my company, files always has a prefix for the team that create it, then at 80% times access a folder, I must hit the Ctrl Y to do quick filter and find the right one I need.
please review this idea & confirms.
regards

Scott_Y

Re: do quick filter right from hitting letters

#2 Post by Scott_Y » 24.01.2013, 18:57

What you describe is already available in FC XE: Ctrl+Y to focus the Quick Filter box, and a drop-down history list of previous filters to select from. http://www.freecommander.com/fc_beta_en.htm

EDIT: But perhaps I have misunderstood your point. You can also achieve essentially the same thing without using the Quick Filter. Simply begin typing the first characters of the file you are looking for, and FC will jump to that part of the folder/file list. The more characters you type, the more restricted the match will become.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#3 Post by Dreamer » 25.01.2013, 00:03

Scott_Y wrote:EDIT: But perhaps I have misunderstood your point. You can also achieve essentially the same thing without using the Quick Filter. Simply begin typing the first characters of the file you are looking for, and FC will jump to that part of the folder/file list. The more characters you type, the more restricted the match will become.
It doesn't work in that case...
In my company, files always has a prefix for the team that create it...
I like this request and I highly support it, I use the prefixes too, so it would be useful, I have another suggestion, disable quick filter with the Escape key - OR...

When using a quick search - type to search, do not search from first character, search as in quick filter, but do not enable quick filter, just focus a desired item - single option that would solve the prefixes issue.

Scott_Y

#4 Post by Scott_Y » 25.01.2013, 18:38

I may still not understand the OP, but I'll try to summarize what's available in FC XE.
-------
1. Progressive jump
Matches beginning from the first character of names. In a File/Folder list, start typing and the focus will jump to the first match. Type more characters to narrow the match. Up/Down cycles amongst adjacent matches. Escape turns off matching.

2. Quick Filter
Matches anywhere in names. The File/Folder list is filtered to show all matches. Ctrl+Y toggles the Quick Filter box, leaving the filter string visible in the box even when the filter is off. Escape doesn't change the state of the filter; it releases the cursor from the Quick Filter box back to the file list, the same as Up/Down. (EDIT: Note that Escape is underutalized here; it might be given a more useful function.)

3. Filter
Alt+Y configures a filter, and doesn't concern us here.

-------
Dreamer wrote:It doesn't work in that case...
Correct, it doesn't work as a filter. But if the prefix is at the start of a name, jump by progressive match will get the OP right to the desired files.
... I have another suggestion, disable quick filter with the Escape key
Can you explain a bit how this would help meet the OP's need?
When using a quick search - type to search, do not search from first character, search as in quick filter, but do not enable quick filter, just focus a desired item
Ah, perhaps this is what the OP was requesting: the Quick Filter works by simply typing in the File/Folder list, without needing to use Ctrl+Y.
... single option that would solve the prefixes issue.
What is the "prefixes issue"? Can't FC XE already find the files, either by progressive jump, or by Quick Filter?

I don't see what the problem is. It appears to me that the OP wants to filter without needing Ctrl+Y, but that shortcut is not a great difficulty. But again, maybe I just misunderstand the point.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#5 Post by Dreamer » 25.01.2013, 22:11

The problem is - that if the file has a prefix, we can't use progressive jump, for example, here is the file list:

[prefix]abc.txt
[prefix]def.txt
[prefix]ghi.txt
[prefix]jkl.txt
..................or
!abc.txt
!def.txt
!ghi.txt
!jkl.txt

In this case it's impossible to use progressive jump to focus def.txt for example.

Regarding Ctrl+Y - this shortcut is not very handy, and when I have to use it often, it's quite annoying.
Ah, perhaps this is what the OP was requesting: the Quick Filter works by simply typing in the File/Folder list, without needing to use Ctrl+Y.
Not exactly the same, he wants the quick filter directly, without shortcut - that's nice, but my suggestion is progressive jump which would not start from the first character, it would not activate quick filter, just focus a desired item, I think the example will explain it well:

[prefix]abc.txt
[prefix]def.txt
[prefix]ghi.txt
[prefix]jkl.txt

...now start to type "def" to focus the file [prefix]def.txt - or type "hi" to focus the file [prefix]ghi.txt - then easily press Escape to unlock the focused file, same as for progressive jump from first char. now.

Hope it's clearer now...

Scott_Y

#6 Post by Scott_Y » 25.01.2013, 22:56

Ah, now I understand. Thanks!

I had thought that the OP wanted to find files beginning with the prefix, whereas he actually wants to bypass that part. So the request is to be able to perform a quick filter directly (similar to a progressive jump) without using the Quick Filter box or shortcut.

http

#7 Post by http » 31.01.2013, 12:12

Scott_Y wrote:Ah, now I understand. Thanks!

I had thought that the OP wanted to find files beginning with the prefix, whereas he actually wants to bypass that part. So the request is to be able to perform a quick filter directly (similar to a progressive jump) without using the Quick Filter box or shortcut.
A nice feature will be if this is configurable. To give to user the possibility to manage from configuration the behavior of the search/filter - see this example: http://picturepush.com/public/12081375

I appreciate your work, thank you!

peter77

#8 Post by peter77 » 23.12.2014, 10:10

I am voting for this feature too. I hope it will be implemented. It will be very useful.

alfredneu

#9 Post by alfredneu » 20.01.2015, 18:53

I support the request. As a convert from Total Commander this is a feature I miss a lot. I do not like progressive jump, because your eyes have to find the current line each time you use it. Quick filter is all I need.

To round it off, it would be nice if hitting Escape would leave the quick filter mode.

Marek
Author
Author

#10 Post by Marek » 20.01.2015, 22:40

The problem is - that if the file has a prefix, we can't use progressive jump, for example, here is the file list:

[prefix]abc.txt
[prefix]def.txt
[prefix]ghi.txt
[prefix]jkl.txt
Have you tried to deactivate the option "Searched fraction must exists at the beginning of the text"?

Dreamer
Site Admin

#11 Post by Dreamer » 21.01.2015, 23:55

I can't believe I missed this feature, thanks, Marek. I thought it's just for the internal text viewer, don't know why, perhaps because of the feature name "Searched fraction must exists at the beginning of the text" - perhaps it should be renamed, instead of "text" use "filename" or "item name".

I also recommend to change the default state of this option to disabled.

Here is the screenshot of the option:

(BTW the feature is already implemented, this topic will be closed or moved later)
Attachments
fcqsearchScreenshot_01212015_233203.png

joby_toss

Re: [IMPLEMENTED] do quick filter right from hitting letters

#12 Post by joby_toss » 22.01.2015, 07:52

Very nice (I also missed that)!
Quick question: how do I move the selection to the next matching item? I know I can retype my "quick search" string, but I wish there was a shortcut or something.

Karol

#13 Post by Karol » 22.01.2015, 08:46

Up, Down?

joby_toss

#14 Post by joby_toss » 22.01.2015, 09:05

:D May I delete my previous post?

alf5000

#15 Post by alf5000 » 22.01.2015, 19:08

wait just a few moments!

my feature request:
don't trigger "Searched fraction must exists at the beginning of the text" if I only type ONE letter!!

my top-notch feature request:
let me define the number of letters I must type to activate the option "Searched fraction must exists at the beginning of the text"!
(win10pro x64) - (latest FCXE x64 portable)