Requests

Discussion, questions and support.
username1114

Requests

#1 Post by username1114 » 11.08.2012, 08:22

please...

- add button to undo recent modifications/edits, and close tab undo option
- add the ability to open iso files and other archives, fortunately zip can be opened
- option to display folder/file sizes in MB, since folders/files which are more than 1 GB consumes
a relatively wide column area..
- option to use right arrow in opening folders, this makes navigation faster and easier

Scott_Y

Re: Requests

#2 Post by Scott_Y » 11.08.2012, 17:28

username1114 wrote:- add button to undo recent modifications/edits
That's quite broad and vague; what specific "modifications/edits" would you want to undo? Some considerations have been expressed here http://forum.freecommander.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=575
username1114 wrote:... and close tab undo option
The "undo closed tab" feature has been requested several times previously, for example http://forum.freecommander.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4064 Please consider adding your support there.
username1114 wrote:- add the ability to open iso files and other archives
This is already possible by installing 7zip (and probably other archiving programs). Then in FC, right click on an iso file > 7zip > Open Archive.
username1114 wrote:- option to display folder/file sizes in MB...
This is already available in FC-XE. For recent releases (currently 597), go to
Settings > View > Custom Columns
Select or create a "view," then in column details, select Size Auto (rather than Size Bytes, Size KB, or Size MB). It works beautifully.

I think there was something similar in FC 2009x, if that's what you are using.
username1114 wrote:- option to use right arrow in opening folders, this makes navigation faster and easier
I'm not familiar with this. What program(s) have you used it in?
It seems to me that ENTER is "fast and easy" for opening folders, and standard in Windows Explorer. Just as easily, BACKSPACE goes one level up. Would that meet your need?
Last edited by Scott_Y on 11.08.2012, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.

menagerie

#3 Post by menagerie » 11.08.2012, 20:38

username1114 wrote:- option to display folder/file sizes in MB...
This is already available in FC-XE. For recent releases (currently 597), go to
Settings > View > Custom Columns
Select or create a "view," then in column details, select Size Auto (rather than Size Bytes, Size KB, or Size MB). It works beautifully.

I think there was something similar in FC 2009x, if that's what you are using./quote]

I tried this [FC XE 597], but no luck. in Tools>Settings>View>Custom Columns... I only get 'Define colums' or 'Conditions'... none of which appear relevant.
However, in <right click>Add/Remove Columns> I can add 'Size Auto' - but it does not shoe folder sizes. What am I missing?

Scott_Y

#4 Post by Scott_Y » 11.08.2012, 22:04

menagerie wrote:I tried this [FC XE 597], but no luck. in Tools>Settings>View>Custom Columns... I only get 'Define colums' or 'Conditions'... none of which appear relevant.
The Define Columns button is what you want. I find that method rather awkward, so see the next point for an easier method.
However, in <right click>Add/Remove Columns> I can add 'Size Auto'
(To clarify: that's a right-click on the column headers above a folder/file list, then select Add/Remove Columns from the context menu.)
Correct, but the column will be added only to that tab. If you want to define a column set to be reused in other tabs, go to Column Profiles > Add Current Column Profile from the same context menu. That gets you to the same place in Settings as described above, but much easier :^)
... but it does not shoe folder sizes. What am I missing?
The default setting is to show only file sizes. If you want to see folder sizes as well, use Folder menu > Size of Folders, or keyboard shortcut Alt+F9 (toggle on/off). Showing folder sizes may slow down performance slightly, which is probably why it is turned off by default.

menagerie

#5 Post by menagerie » 11.08.2012, 22:42

Ahhh... that got it nicely. Cheers Scott.

username1114

#6 Post by username1114 » 13.08.2012, 05:45

That was a quick reply there...thanks! I now know how to add more columns(not to mention use the size auto to display
folder sizes in MB,GB,KB and bytes..which works great..).
Anyway, what I meant with opening archives back there is that FC itself can open the archives..so if you want to open a zip archive for
example, its files will be displayed in the panel...this is true with zip files...but when I tried opening a rar and other archives..
Powerarchiver(my default archiver took over and opened the files). I want FC XE itself to do the job..so no additional programs
would be running....and I can take advantage of FCs great navigating capabilities....
As for the using the arrow key to open a folder, it really is easier and faster if it will be...since you won't have to jump to 'backspace' to go to the parent folder and 'enter' key to open folders...you can set left arrow key to go to the parent folder and right arrow key to
open a folder...so you can just use the arrow keys for navigating!!no more jumps to other keys...you can try Cubic Explorer...it is the one I used..it was really convenient..its just that FC is more beautiful, feature-packed and configurable...
- another question, how to reload a backup setting?I have a backup of my settings but I don't know how to load it. It will be useful
after, for example, reinstalling FC. It's quite tiring to go through the same process of configuring the settings and toolbars again each time you reinstall it...

Scott_Y

#7 Post by Scott_Y » 13.08.2012, 06:41

username1114 wrote:... opening a rar and other archives ... I want FC XE itself to do the job ... and I can take advantage of FCs great navigating capabilities.
Agreed. For your reference, this capability is in Settings > Archiver Plugins > WCX tab. The plugin provided with FC only works with zip, jar, and war extensions. Other extensions would require an appropriate plugin. As far as I know, none is available.
As for the using the arrow key to open a folder, it really is easier and faster if it will be...since you won't have to jump to 'backspace' to go to the parent folder and 'enter' key to open folders...you can set left arrow key to go to the parent folder and right arrow key to open a folder...so you can just use the arrow keys for navigating!!
Obviously it depends on what you are used to. Because <Enter> and <Back> are standard in Windows Explorer and many other file managers, I doubt this will be changed to become the default in FC. However, you can customize your keyboard to work as you describe (I just tested it myself):

Tools menu > Define Keyboard Shortcuts
In the small filterbox below the bottom right corner of the shortcut list, type "go up".
Place your cursor in the New Shortcut box, then hit the Left.Arrow key. "Left" will now appear as the shortcut.
Click Assign.

Similarly, filter for "open folder in same panel" and use Right.Arrow key.
Remember to click Assign, then OK.
... how to reload a backup setting?
In FC-XE 597 and several previous versions, go to Tools menu > Restore All Settings.
Navigate to the backup you want, then click OK.

That presumes, of course, that you have been backing up settings prior to that point ;^)
Settings > General > Settings.

ralfso

#8 Post by ralfso » 13.08.2012, 08:38

Scott_Y wrote:
username1114 wrote:... opening a rar and other archives ... I want FC XE itself to do the job ... and I can take advantage of FCs great navigating capabilities.
Agreed. For your reference, this capability is in Settings > Archiver Plugins > WCX tab. The plugin provided with FC only works with zip, jar, and war extensions. Other extensions would require an appropriate plugin.
As far as I know, none is available.
The TC-plugins: Total7zip, iso 1.7.7, DiskDir Extended seem to do that job (I've tested Total7zip and it works).
http://www.totalcmd.net/search.php?s=iso
Scott_Y wrote:
username1114 wrote:As for the using the arrow key to open a folder, it really is easier and faster if it will be...since you won't have to jump to 'backspace' to go to the parent folder and 'enter' key to open folders...you can set left arrow key to go to the parent folder and right arrow key to open a folder...so you can just use the arrow keys for navigating!!
Obviously it depends on what you are used to. Because <Enter> and <Back> are standard in Windows Explorer and many other file managers, I doubt this will be changed to become the default in FC. However, you can customize your keyboard to work as you describe (I just tested it myself):
I agree to Scott_Y. Standard keys from windows should also be the standard in other programs. If anyone wants to change them, he should do it for his own configuration.
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545

Scott_Y

#9 Post by Scott_Y » 13.08.2012, 16:45

ralfso wrote:The TC-plugins: Total7zip, iso 1.7.7, DiskDir Extended seem to do that job (I've tested Total7zip and it works).
http://www.totalcmd.net/search.php?s=iso
Thanks, Ralfso! http://www.totalcmd.net/directory/packer.html also lists at least one plugin for RAR archives.

username1114

#10 Post by username1114 » 14.08.2012, 07:38

The truth is I've already set <left arrow> to do 'go up'....my only problem is how to make <right arrow> do the opening
folder function...But that's not a problem anymore...thanks for pointing it out...I've scrolled the list for keyboard shortcut configuration
a couple of times but it seemed like I wasn't paying enough attention..I didn't find 'Open folder in same panel' until you pointed it out..
now I've got what i looked for...thanks again man!
As for the loading the backup settings, I don't seem to see the 'Reload Setting' in Tool menu, just like you mentioned. I'm currently
using 591, the latest public release. Will it work if I'll just replace the files in the settings folder with the files in my backup? The name and number of the files are the same so I thought it might work. But kind of not sure..I'm afraid it will result to some weird behavior so
I haven't tried it yet.
Well, the truth is I'm still a newbie in FC..I started using it just a couple of days ago, I found and
still find it very impressive for a free software(really hope that it will remain free forever)..for these past few days, i always find some great features in it every time I spend my time do some nasty things with it...

ralfso

#11 Post by ralfso » 14.08.2012, 12:44

username1114 wrote:Will it work if I'll just replace the files in the settings folder with the files in my backup? The name and number of the files are the same so I thought it might work. But kind of not sure..I'm afraid it will result to some weird behavior so
I haven't tried it yet.
Yes it will, "restore" in newer versions does the same thing.
In FC 2009 i always backed up my settings by manually copying or restoring the ini-files.
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545

Scott_Y

#12 Post by Scott_Y » 14.08.2012, 17:22

username1114 wrote:... Will it work if I'll just replace the files in the settings folder with the files in my backup?
Ralfso, does FC need to be closed first before replacing the settings files?
... i always find some great features in it every time I spend my time do some nasty things with it...
So true! I've been using FC for about three years, and have probably made use of only half its features. And Marek continues to improve it! Truly an amazing, quality software.

ralfso

#13 Post by ralfso » 14.08.2012, 19:22

Scott_Y wrote:Ralfso, does FC need to be closed first before replacing the settings files?.
Yes, you've to do this with explorer or a second portable FC.
In case FC is open, the copied ini-files would be overwritten by closing FC.
Regards
Ralf

Scott_Y

#14 Post by Scott_Y » 18.08.2012, 21:20

username1114 wrote:please - add ... close tab undo option
Now available in 598. (Further evidence that FC is an outstanding program :^)

Edit: But see here for a limitation on how tabs can be restored: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4429
Last edited by Scott_Y on 19.08.2012, 23:40, edited 1 time in total.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#15 Post by Dreamer » 19.08.2012, 23:39

Moved to General Discussion, please start a new topic for each new request, for more, read the forum rules. Thanks for understanding.