Ctrl+Tab cycling through the most recent tabs

Suggestions and feature requests.
vodoomoth

Ctrl+Tab cycling through the most recent tabs

#1 Post by vodoomoth » 04.04.2012, 18:21

Hi,

I'd like to ask for an option that lets me cycle through the tabs of a panel in the most-recently-used order instead of the current order. In all other programs (browsers, text editors, Eclipse, etc.) that I use, this MRU order is either the default or an option that I have activated so as to have a uniform behavior on my system.

I find it kind of disturbing to press Ctrl+Tab out of habit, thinking that I would go back to the tab I was in before the last one, and landing on a different tab.

If it's already possible to attain what I'm asking for here, please share the info.
Thanks.

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Ctrl+Tab cycling through the most recent tabs

#2 Post by Dreamer » 04.04.2012, 23:21

I suggest these shortcuts:

Ctrl+PageUp/Down to go to prev./next tab
Alt+PageUp/Down to go to prev./next last-used tab

I think Alt+ is the good key, the same as folder history (Alt+left/right).

vodoomoth

#3 Post by vodoomoth » 18.06.2012, 23:03

Are we the only two people to pine for this?

Actually, I came here to ask for the feature, performed a search and realized that I have already posted what I intended to post! Ain't that being consistent?

freecommandersven

#4 Post by freecommandersven » 21.06.2012, 09:10

This would be extremely useful.

I would root for the
Ctrl + Tab
option.

a) Page-up + anything can't really be done one-handed
b) it would be consistent with shortcut used in notepad++

Scott_Y

#5 Post by Scott_Y » 24.06.2012, 23:04

freecommandersven wrote:I would root for the
Ctrl + Tab
option.
In my experience, Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab are the default shortcuts in (almost?) every tabbed interface for going to the spatially adjacent tabs. Some programs provide an option to make this the temporally adjacent tabs.

So I recommend that FC follow this same pattern -- i.e. keep the standard default, and add the option to change to temporally adjacent tabs.

vodoomoth

#6 Post by vodoomoth » 02.07.2012, 02:51

Scott_Y wrote: In my experience, Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab are the default shortcuts in (almost?) every tabbed interface for going to the spatially adjacent tabs.
Quite strangely, I've had the opposite feeling as only Mozilla web and mail clients behave that way among the programs I use regularly. And of course, FC.
Scott_Y wrote: So I recommend that FC follow this same pattern -- i.e. keep the standard default, and add the option to change to temporally adjacent tabs.
+1. An option would be nice. That's also what I was suggesting.

Scott_Y

#7 Post by Scott_Y » 06.07.2012, 18:46

vodoomoth wrote:
Scott_Y wrote: In my experience, Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab are the default shortcuts in (almost?) every tabbed interface for going to the spatially adjacent tabs.
Quite strangely, I've had the opposite feeling as only Mozilla web and mail clients behave that way among the programs I use regularly. And of course, FC.
Interesting. Here is my experience with tabbed interfaces:
-- Internet Explorer and Google Chrome both go to the next adjacent tab by default. No option to cycle to most recently used.
-- Likewise NoteTab (a Notepad replacement), MediaMonkey (media player), and PDF Xchange Viewer (PDF reader).
-- Opera browser can be set to either "cycle in recently used order" or "cycle in tab bar order." I think the former is the default, but not sure.

"Cycle in tab order" is also found in programs which have options or settings grouped on tabs, e.g. Microsoft Office. Obviously "cycle in recently used order" is not relevant in that environment. But my point is that this is another context which reinforces in my mind "cycle in tab order" as the default.

Clearly your experience is that "cycle in recently used order" is the expected pattern. So as we've said, an option would allow each user to choose.

vodoomoth

#8 Post by vodoomoth » 01.10.2012, 11:15

Is there progress on this feature request? Anyone heard anything?

alf5000

#9 Post by alf5000 » 28.11.2012, 21:49

cycle in tab bar order (we already have that in FCXE)

+1 for: cycle in recently used order (I prefer this behavior so much)
+10 for: an option would allow each user to choose ('cycle in recently used order' or 'cycle in tab bar order')
(win10pro x64) - (latest FCXE x64 portable)