720 - Quick filter box not correctly updating

Bugs and other issues or requests which have been resolved.
AimHere

720 - Quick filter box not correctly updating

#1 Post by AimHere » 24.04.2016, 13:48

FreeCommander XE 64-bit build 720 donor. Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

When a Quick Filter is active in the currently-selected tab, and a new tab is created, the new tab is a copy of the previously-active one... same path, and the same filter is in effect... the list of files only contains filtered items, and the file-list background is the quick-filter background color. HOWEVER, the Quick Filter box at the bottom of the window will appear to show that NO filter is active... the box is blank, and the button next to it is in the "not filtered" state, e.g. no red "X". Clicking this button has no effect at this point, since the box is blank. So, the file list for this tab will only be showing filtered items, and there's no direct way to deactivate the filter and get it to show ALL items. I have to click in the Quick Filter box, and type something, creating a NEW quick filter, and THEN I can click the button to deactivate filtering.

Steps to reproduce:
1.) In the currently active folder tab, click in the Quick Filter box and type to create a filter. The file list changes to reflect the filtering.
2.) Create a new folder tab, either by double-clicking a blank area in the tab bar OR using the menu "View/New Folder Tab".
3.) The new tab is a duplicate of the previous one, including the filter still in effect. But the Quick Filter box at the bottom appears to show NO filter in effect, and the button next to it cannot be used to deactivate the filter.
4.) Click in the (empty) Quick Filter box and type to create a new filter. This replaces the old filter, and the button can now be used to deactivate it.

(Just now, I discovered a further wrinkle: once the Quick Filter *is* deactivated on the second tab, and I switch back to the first tab, the Quick Filter is no longer active on THAT tab.)

For what it's worth, I found that if the program setting "Deactivate filter on folder change" is checked, then try the above steps again, the second tab is created with no filter in effect, and the Quick Filter box and button behave as expected. But I don't want to have this setting checked/enabled, I'd prefer to keep all filters active until I specifically deactivate them.

Frankly, I'd like to see the Quick Filter setting be remembered on a per-tab basis, but that doesn't seem to be an option...

Aimhere

Marek
Author
Author

Re: 720 - Quick filter box not correctly updating

#2 Post by Marek » 26.04.2016, 20:44

I can not reproduce your problem in step 3:
3.) The new tab is a duplicate of the previous one, including the filter still in effect.

AimHere

Re: 720 - Quick filter box not correctly updating

#3 Post by AimHere » 27.04.2016, 13:20

I played around with it some more, and found inconsistency with how it works.

I can replicate step 3 reliably, IF, after setting a Quick Filter in the initial tab, the Quick Filter box still has input focus (e.g. the typing cursor is in it, or the text is selected) when I double-click the empty area of the Tab Bar to create a new tab. The new tab created this way ALWAYS has the filter active initially. In fact, I can repeatedly double-click the empty area of the Tab Bar at this point, and each new tab still has the same filter active.

HOWEVER... if, after setting a Quick Filter in the first/initial tab, I then do something to switch input focus away from the Quick Filter box (say, clicking on any file in the files list), so that the Quick Filter box is not active for typing, THEN double-click the blank Tab Bar to create the second tab, the new tab opens WITHOUT any active filter. So, if you clicked anywhere outside the Quick Filter box BEFORE double-clicking to create the new tab, you likely wouldn't see the filter active in the new tab.

I also found that, if I create a second tab that has the filter active (as in second paragraph above, or steps 1-3 in my first message), then switch back to the first tab, and switch again to the second, the second tab loses the filter effect (showing all files).

And again, none of this applies if the program setting "Deactivate filter on folder change" (in "Quick search/filter/starter") is checked/enabled. You didn't have that enabled, did you?