Plain View Files - sorting on column heading behaves wrong

Bugs and other issues or requests which have been resolved.
dsperber

Plain View Files - sorting on column heading behaves wrong

#1 Post by dsperber » 20.02.2016, 22:21

If a "parent" folder (containing sub-folders) is selected and then View -> Plain view files is selected, all of the files from all of the sub-folders are presented in a single list, as if there were no sub-folders.

However if you then click on a column heading to sort the single file list on that column heading value, I expect to see the results presented as one single list sorted by that column as if there were no folders at all, and that all files were in the single parent folder!

Well, that's not what happens. Instead it seems all that's happened is that the sub-folder names were removed when presenting the single file list, but the individual file names are still thought of as being within those sub-folders. So when you click on a column heading to sort the file list by that column's values, there are multiple sub-sorts, for each implied folder group of file names. At least that's how it kind of looks.

In any case, and whatever is actually happening, the sort on column heading in Plain View Files IS NOT WORKING AS EXPECTED.

Here's an example, the added column of "camera model". I wanted to get all of the JPG files taken by my Samsung Galaxy S4 phone camera (SCH-I545 is the "camera model") placed in a separate folder.

Here's the original un-sorted view, from Plain View Files.

And here's the sorted view after clicking on the "camera model" column heading. Note the "clusters" of file names.

Timon

Re: Plain View Files - sorting on column heading behaves wro

#2 Post by Timon » 21.02.2016, 08:24

Already discussed here viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7138 (original topic)

dsperber

#3 Post by dsperber » 21.02.2016, 08:58

Timon wrote:Already discussed here viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7138 (original topic)
I understand. That was "general discussion" and this is "bugs". I didn't know it was a bug originally, and thought maybe it was some FCXE usage I didn't know how to do properly which caused my results.

But now I think it's a "bug". Hence this thread, for proper tracking and bug reporting. Cousin to that other thread, true.

dsperber

#4 Post by dsperber » 26.02.2016, 01:03

Sorting on column heading within Plain View Files now fixed in latest donor build version 717 of FCXE to work as expected:

Implemented: Sorting by Windows columns improved ("Data type" added to the column definition )

Marek... MANY THANKS!!