629 - active panel doesn't change as expected

Bugs and other issues or requests which have been resolved.
AimHere

629 - active panel doesn't change as expected

#1 Post by AimHere » 23.07.2013, 01:40

Discovered a problem in XE 629.

When you click on a folder in the folder tree, the panel focus doesn't always switch to the panel you clicked in.

Steps to reproduce:
1) Make sure the folder tree is visible for both left and right panels.
2) Select a folder in the left panel's folder tree, doesn't matter which folder. The contents are displayed in the file list, and the left panel gets the "active" focus. Let's call this "Folder A".
3) Select a folder in the right panel's tree, again, doesn't matter which. Focus switches to the right panel, and the folder's contents are displayed. The folder itself remains highlighted/selected in the panel's folder tree. (Do not select anything IN the folder.) We'll call this "Folder B".
4) Now, go back to the LEFT panel's tree and click the SAME folder (e.g. "Folder A") as in step 2. The panel focus WILL NOT CHANGE to the left panel, it remains on the right panel (with "Folder B" selected).

At this point, if one were to press the DEL key, expecting that FCXE would try to delete "Folder A" in the left panel, they'd be in for a shock as the program tries to delete "Folder B" instead. I nearly lost half a terabyte of files when this happened to me (I didn't read the "this folder is too big for the recycle bin" warning closely enough, but still! :P).

Here's an alternative way to reproduce the problem:
1) Again, make sure the tree is visible.
2) In the left panel, click a folder in the tree. Its contents are displayed, and the left panel has focus.
3) Press TAB to change focus to the right panel.
4) In the left panel tree, click the same folder as before. Focus does NOT switch back to the left panel!

Apparently what's happening is, FCXE will not change focus to the panel whose tree you clicked in IF you click on the folder that is already selected in the tree (its contents displayed in the file list). If you click on a DIFFERENT folder in the tree, focus does switch to that panel. But it will not switch focus if you click on the folder that's already selected.

I hope this gets fixed ASAP. Clicking on the folder tree really should always switch focus to that panel, no matter which folder was clicked on. The current behavior is inconsistent (different results depending on which folder you click in the tree), and could lead to data loss as per my example...

Aimhere

ralfso

Re: 629 - active panel doesn't change as expected

#2 Post by ralfso » 23.07.2013, 18:26

Confirmed!

If you click again on the same folder in the tree the folder becomes blue (in my windows) but the activated pane is still the other one.
If you then do a file operation, the wrong file/folder is used.

Once more explained in short words:
  • In the left tree click on folder "test1"
  • In the right tree click on folder "test2"
  • Click again in left tree on folder "test1"
Folder "test1" is highlighted but the left pane is not activated.
If you click on another folder the activation follows to the right pane.
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545

Marek
Author
Author

#3 Post by Marek » 23.07.2013, 21:00

Fixed for the release 630.

AimHere

#4 Post by AimHere » 28.07.2013, 16:18

Thanks, Marek! As bugs go, this one was really scary (deleted gigabytes of material by mistake, thank God I had the tools and hard drive space to recover them...)