Cursor Color Outline Bug

Bugs and issues - current donor version.
Zorkoff

Cursor Color Outline Bug

#1 Post by Zorkoff » 12.05.2019, 23:06

I am using FCXE 798 and decided to change my cursor color (Settings > Select Items > General) by unchecking "Use Windows" to allow Free Commander Colors.

The new colors look good, but there is a strange action I noticed. When FCXE starts, the full line select cursor has an even color all the way. However, as soon as I press the Ctrl key or the Shift key, half of the cursor is given a dotted outline (I have NOT enabled any of the draw border options).

If I right click a file to see the context menu and press Esc, the dotted outline is not added. However, if I press the "Properties key" (next to the right Ctrl key) to display the same context menu, the dotted outline is added to the cursor.

Once the dotted outline is added, it will remain in either the right or left panels until the program is restarted.

I went back to some older versions of FCXE and this action has been the same since at least release 762.

Screen Shot #1 - Here is the cursor appearance right after FCXE is started.

Screen Shot #2 - Here is the cursor after Ctrl is pressed. The red arrow points to the dotted outline.

Marek
Author
Author

Re: Cursor Color Outline Bug

#2 Post by Marek » 13.05.2019, 21:58

Can you see such problem in any color scheme?
I can check it if you send me all config files.

Zorkoff

#3 Post by Zorkoff » 15.05.2019, 22:38

Follow up information to my original post

Problem is found in FCXE 762 to 798 as far as I checked. I am using Win 10 Pro version 1803 on a desktop computer. I don't remember the problem from before the April cumulative update, but I was using the windows cursor colors then.

The problem was noticed by pressing a keyboard key (Ctrl, Shift, Properties), but on further testing, it seems like any key will trigger the dotted cursor outline.

Once the dotted outline is triggered, it will remain in either the right or left panels until the program is restarted.

Colors were set from the page (Settings > Select Items > General)

If the "Use Windows Colors" box is checked, the cursor starts out as light blue, but when a key is pressed, an outline is added to the full row select.

If the "Use Windows Colors" box is unchecked, the cursor starts out with the selected color, but when a key is pressed, half of the full row select has a dotted outline added.

This problem occurs with other standard color schemes (White_Default, Light_Beige_Flat)

Color schemes which check the "Only Border" box are hard to see, but if the box is unchecked, the partial outline is clearly visible.

The solarized_Dark_Flat color scheme with "Only Border" displays the problem if you look closely.

I am re-posting the screen shots with a different image host.

Screen Shot #1 - Here is the cursor appearance right after FCXE is started.

Screen Shot #2 - Here is the cursor after a key is pressed. The red arrow points to the dotted outline.

This should be enough information to duplicate the problem

Marek, if you still want me to send you any files, tell me which ones and how to get them to you.

alf5000

#4 Post by alf5000 » 23.05.2019, 16:52

seems to be a fairly old issue.
perhaps you might also read this.

short thread - same problem:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8433

long thread - same/similar problems:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8338#p26720

nobody else seemed to have that problem - so I just learned to live with that weird issue
(win10pro x64) - (latest FCXE x64 portable)

Marek
Author
Author

#5 Post by Marek » 23.05.2019, 21:40

This should be enough information to duplicate the problem
Have you it checked with default FC settings?
Is Windows scaling active (> 100%)? If yes, try with 100%.

Zorkoff

#6 Post by Zorkoff » 24.05.2019, 21:25

Follow up information after more testing

My display scaling is set at 100% for a 1920x1080 resolution Acer Monitor

Any color scheme will display the problem, some are just harder to see.

I tested a new copy of FCXE 798 portable in a new folder. I extracted all the files and let the Zip file define any sub-folders. I then ran the program and changed (Settings > Select Items > General) by unchecking the box "Use Windows Colors" and selected the details view. No other changes were made.

The same problem was observed as I described in my earlier post. There was a dotted outline on part of the full row select of the FOCUSED item. The dots were about 1 pixel inside the edge of the highlighted bar.

The dotted line ONLY appears on the FOCUSED item, never on any "selected" items.

If the TAB key is used to switch active panels, the dotted line jumps to the FOCUSED item in the opposite panel.

This may be a clue, if the dotted line is not triggered (after program start), if I use the mouse to highlight a file name to rename it (slow click), the key strokes to make the name change *will not* trigger the dotted line. The same keys *will* trigger the dotted line if not renaming.

As before, once the dotted outline is triggered, it will remain in either the right or left panels until the program is restarted.

Marek, I assume from your responses that you are not able to duplicate the problem, but the links from alf5000 show that I am not the first to see this this behavior. Are there any other tests I can perform to help identify the cause of this issue? I will help in any way I can. Again, if you still want me to send you any files, tell me which ones and how to get them to you.

Zorkoff

#7 Post by Zorkoff » 26.05.2019, 17:14

Solution found after more testing

If others are not able to see this problem, I decided that it might be due to some configuration of my computer.

First on my list was the Control Panel > Ease of Access Center.

I opened several of the settings listed and found that there were several options selected. I disabled all of them and found that the cursor outline problem went away. So I enabled them one by one and found the one that causes the problem.

Click the link to the setting titled: "Make the computer easier to see"

About half way down there is a group titled "Make things on the screen easier to see"

The box for "Make the focus rectangle thicker" was checked.

When I unchecked that box, the problem went away for the FCXE cursor colors.

If the FCXE Option "Use Windows Colors" is checked (Settings > Select Items > General), the cursor will start as light blue solid, but will change to have a dotted border around the ENTIRE blue cursor when a key is pressed, but the border is narrower than when the focus rectangle box option is checked.

I hope this helps with the problem that alf5000 saw on his computer.

alf5000

#8 Post by alf5000 » 26.05.2019, 18:19

:P @Zorkoff it really solves the problem on my machine ( :?: as far as I can remember I never messed around with these Windows7 settings)
(win10pro x64) - (latest FCXE x64 portable)