FC fails to load network shares

Bugs and issues - current donor version.
BGM

FC fails to load network shares

#1 Post by BGM » 12.04.2018, 18:03

I am having problems with UNC shares.
Since I am a network administrator, every day I have to connect to the admin shares of machines on my LAN.

But sometimes, FC will not connect even though I can connect with Windows Explorer.
However, *after* I connect with Windows Explorer, *then* FC can find the destination.
But before I make the connection with Explorer, it doesn't matter how many times I try with FC.

This is intermittent.

FreeCommander XE 2017 Build 763 64-bit donor on Windows 7x64

Settings > Network > Use FreeCommander for network loading = true
USe cache for server list = true
Show hidden shares = true
Load network in background process on program start = true
(Windows 10-1909 Professional 64bit)

Marek
Author
Author

Re: FC fails to load network shares

#2 Post by Marek » 14.04.2018, 22:31

1. Helps the FreeCommander restart?
2. Are these always the same servers that cause problems?
3. Have you tried other network setting (Use Windows shell...)?

m-a-r-k

#3 Post by m-a-r-k » 15.04.2018, 17:38

Do you run FC with admin privileges?
I do and had the same sort of problem.
This article helped:
http://www.winability.com/how-to-make-e ... rk-drives/

BGM

#4 Post by BGM » 16.04.2018, 05:22

Am I running as administrator?
No, I don't run "as" administrator - however, I am logged in as a domain super admin with admin rights anywhere in the network. It is on my own workstation.

1. Helps the FreeCommander restart?
Well, I guess it might. I'd have to put myself back into the mode to test it, though.

2. Are these always the same servers that cause problems?
No. It could be any network share or machine.

3. Have you tried other network setting (Use Windows shell...)?
I used to use Windows to copy files, but it doesn't have pause, and if the job fails, there's no way to know what files didn't copy and then I have to go do a compare files to find the difference. That is utter pain if I try to copy a lot of files. AND, Windows 7 doesn't tell the folder paths. In it's "details" it will tell the a filename, but not the folder that contains it, so if you copy a folder of folders with files, you can't tell what messed up. I hate that. So I use FC's copy function instead because it gives a better progress report.

Sorry to take so long to answer; the forum stops sending me notifications if I don't log in regularly.
Last edited by BGM on 16.04.2018, 05:32, edited 3 times in total.

BGM

#5 Post by BGM » 16.04.2018, 05:26

There is another issue - and it might be related, which is why I'm posting it in this thread:

So I am copying a 50mb mp4 file from one laptop to another laptop, using FC on the destination machine, and logged in via admin share (using local admin credentials for the connection to the source machine).

When I copy the file, (copy service is via Windows, not FC) FC will not navigate. I push the up-button to go to the parent directory and the hated spinner begins. It *does* finally navigate, but I have to wait for it.

m-a-r-k

#6 Post by m-a-r-k » 16.04.2018, 20:19

So you didn't try the registry change?
When you use FC, do you run as administrator? If not then forget it. If so, do the registry change.

BGM

#7 Post by BGM » 17.04.2018, 06:02

m-a-r-k, It works most of the time. It's just sometimes that it doesn't work. I'd say it works 92% of the time just like it is expected to work.
I've been doing this with FC for years. It's as if FC forgets about the network or something.

When it *doesn't* work, if I go and load the path in Windows Explorer, *then* FC is able to grab it up just fine.

asbaker47

#8 Post by asbaker47 » 08.05.2018, 02:18

I have this problem too on a home network. I have named at least 8 folders and sub-folders on 2 other networked computers. sometimes they are available by clicking and othertimes some or all are not.

I have tried admin and non-admin starts (though I am the admin according to Windows). I have tried "wakemeonlan" to awaken other 2 computers and sometimes that helps but not always. I have set FC network setting both FC and Windows Shell. I have the other 2 boxes checked (cache and background). Sometimes one folder on compute M is available but a different folder is not. Sometimes all and some and not at all.

The only thing that works the most often is to open each one in Explorer first.

I have alternated between FC 32 and 64 bit. I have a Dell laptop Windows 10 and desktop Windows 7.

I can live with opening Explorer first but would liker FC to access all the network rives itself if possible.
Lynn