inconsistency: inversed buttons in dialogs

Bugs and issues - current donor version.
NumberOne

inconsistency: inversed buttons in dialogs

#1 Post by NumberOne » 13.01.2016, 20:32

i guess the first dialog is correct, but to make sure you may want to consult the MSDN coding guidelines.

Timon

Re: inconsistency: inversed buttons in dialogs

#2 Post by Timon » 13.01.2016, 21:10

In many dialogs similar Move up/Move down buttons are used, see:
Tools - Settings - Programs - Editor, Viewers, Ext. viewers, ...
Tools - Settings - Archiver plugins - tab WCX
Tools - Settings - View - File/folder list - tab Items color
Tools - Settings - View - Column profiles
Tools - Settings - View - Viewer
Tools - Settings - View - Status bar
and many other places.

Doesn't matter what MSDN coding guidelines says.
All should be done in a single style and user-friendly. Rather often use that buttons and don't experience any difficulties that the first one is Up and the second is Down.

NumberOne

#3 Post by NumberOne » 15.01.2016, 22:12

Doesn't matter what MSDN coding guidelines says.
this is not true; it is essential for windows applications to follow user interface guide lines as described here:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff802695.aspx

you may have a look a the shortcuts section for instance:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms997498.aspx
there are standard shortcut which should (must) be implemented by any native windows application.

various rules (guide lines) apply to most parts of user interface in order to "create the Best User Experience".
hence fixing such inconsistency like the unversed buttons by applying MS rules is important.

Timon

#4 Post by Timon » 16.01.2016, 15:58

As I see, many people don't like "Best User Experience" in MS apps and use 3-rd party apps for everyday use. If you are at that forum, that means you don't like MS Explorer.

I also could describe why should button 'Move up' be before button 'Move down', for example, in 'Tools - Settings - Archiver plugins - tab WCX'
When you add some new plugin, that means you think that it works better, than all previously installed. Order of plugins is very important in FC XE. That's why you need 'Move Up' button to rise new plugin in the list.

Also have a look at "Best User Experience" MS Excel. 'Increase Decimal' is before 'Decrease Decimal' (by the way, icons on that buttons are not logical and I'm constantly confused what should I press and always choose wrong button focusing on the icon).
(I don't even exclude that MS itself does not follow their own rules...)

So, even with "Best User Experience" I think 'Move Up' should be before 'Move Down' in FC XE.

But in order to solve any disputes in general, the best option is to place buttons under each other. It would be really "Best User Experience".