Unicode names not displayed correctly inside archives

Bugs and issues - current donor version.
joby_toss

Unicode names not displayed correctly inside archives

#1 Post by joby_toss » 15.10.2015, 19:18

Tested using v698x64, v698x32 and v685 public on win7x64 with default settings (internal fcZip and fcRar used).

It looks like this:

Correct:

Note: tested archive was downloaded from here.

Timon

Re: Unicode names not displayed correctly inside archives

#2 Post by Timon » 15.10.2015, 20:20

There is no UniExtract_7zip конструктор.zip file there - https://yadi.sk/d/Zz7GQB2shS4gC.

I downloaded all .7z archives from Yandex disk and I don't see any archive in .zip format and with unicode names (even as nested archive inside .7z archive). All archives have only .7z formats.

In FC XE 698 x86 version I created folder with the same name as in your example - '7zip конструктор' and packed it with fcZip and I don't experience such a problem. May be you pack files with anything else, not with FC XE? I also packed the same folder using Total7Zip to .7z archive and don't see that problem too.

Note that order of plugins in FC XE is very important.
In Pack dialog press Configure... to chech wheather fcZip is used for packing.

Or please upload problem archive somewhwere and we'll try to view/unpack it.

joby_toss

#3 Post by joby_toss » 15.10.2015, 20:53

I just used the "Download archive" button to the right:

The archive is named "7zip конструктор.zip", I just added the prefix to remember what it is.

And I used default settings in FC XE, as I said above, didn't change a thing.
My regional language is English (US), maybe this matters.
It's strange that my issue can't be replicated, now I'm more curious why this happens. :)

Timon

#4 Post by Timon » 15.10.2015, 21:19

Now I downloaded archive '7zip конструктор.zip' with 'Download archive' button on the right, but I still can't replicate your issue in FC XE 698 x86 under Windows XP SP3. I see unicode in archive without any problems.

I even decided to renamed file to 'UniExtract_7zip конструктор.zip' (who knows, what can cause problem), but all is shown fine.

My regional settings are Russian, but Windows XP is English (ENU) with Russian MUI installed.

As I see from your first post, in FC XE you have problems with unicode (first screenshot), but on the second screenshot (I think it was done in Total Commander) all is fine for you. It's really strange...

I use many file managers for testing purposes and had similar problem with MultiCommander long time ago. I even made topic about it http://forum.multicommander.com/forum/i ... 012.0.html and made fix suggested by developer. Try to download MC and type a command in it.

As Matias (MC developer wrote) - Zip does no support Unicode, There is an extension to the standard that gives support for UTF8 and MC do support that. But not many programs uses UTF8 when creating zips. So may be the problem is in Yandex disk method of packing to .zip with unicode support.

But I had no such a problem with FC XE or Total Commander ever. All files were always shown in a right way.

joby_toss

#5 Post by joby_toss » 16.10.2015, 08:48

Yes, you're correct about everything. And yes, same issue happens in MultiCommander with this archive.

It's just strange how TC is able to display this archive correctly on my system, while others can't, not even 7-zip.

And yes, I can create and read archives with unicode file names correctly using XE (even this same one, after being unpacked by TC! :) ), it's just a problem for "some" archives.

Thank's for your help!