Rename target file in Pack files dialog impossible (695 x64)

Bugs and issues - current donor version.
joq

Rename target file in Pack files dialog impossible (695 x64)

#1 Post by joq » 03.09.2015, 07:19

Hi,
I am using Build 695 64-bit donor and think I have come across a bug.

I back up files daily to a network drive like this:

* Open the source and target folders in dual pane mode.
* Select the file to be backed up in the source folder.
* Press ALT + F5 to launch 'Pack files' dialog.
* In the target field of the dialog, add a timestamp to the name of the Zip archive to be created.

This version of Freecommander ignores any changes to the target file name - the name will be the basename of the selected file with the extension 'zip'.

I have been using Freecommander (the best thing since sliced bread) for over 5 years and used the above-mentioned process daily...so this is a new bug (or regression?), because earlier I was able to rename the target in the Pack files dialog.

With best regards and a huge thank you for an excellent piece of software.

Joq
Proud donor

joby_toss

Re: Rename target file in Pack files dialog impossible (695

#2 Post by joby_toss » 03.09.2015, 09:36

Confirmed for build 695 x64 and x86. Public build 685 x86 works as expected.

Timon

#3 Post by Timon » 03.09.2015, 10:47

Confirmed partially. It is true only if single file is packed. In that case any changes to the target file name are ignored.

I think the problem binds from the fact that the logic of packing single file has been changed in last versions. Previousely, we selected one file, for example, info.txt, and after packing it looked like info.txt.zip. Now this problem no longer exists.

But if you try to select several files, press ALT + F5 to launch 'Pack files' dialog and in the target field of the dialog, add a timestamp to the name of the Zip archive to be created - everything would be fine, target file name would be as you desired.

joq

#4 Post by joq » 16.09.2015, 07:26

I was stumped by this problem for a while. I decided to roll back to an earlier version, 685 (donor, x64), but had the same issue there. Then I went for the 680 public beta, but still had the same problem occur. Every time I would restore my settings from a backup, so I suspected there was something in there that caused the error.

I noticed that in the Pack files dialog, the Archive format drop-down (#1) was empty. When I clicked on that, there were no options. (The dialog is working now, that is what is shown in the screenshot below, just so that is clear).

I followed these steps:

1. Went to Settings > Archiver plugins and unchecked both fcZip and fcRar.
  2. Click Apply, then OK.
....and that did the trick! Apparently somehow these plugins had been unregistered despite the fact that they were still marked as active (that is ,checked in the list).

So, just wanted to share. I can now easily zip one or more files and edit the target file name for the archive and that edit is honored. :mrgreen:

Jocke