Several bug reports

Bugs and issues - current donor version.
duarte.framos

Several bug reports

#1 Post by duarte.framos » 02.04.2015, 12:25

Ok, so I've been using FreeCommanderXE for a few years now and I am very satisfied with it, it is a very nifty little tool, very versatile and extremely customizable.
I have never submitted a bug report but throughout the years I have found quite a few bugs and annoyances that never seem to get fixed so I'd like to report them and see if the can be fixed/implemented.
So I always use the latest updated version of FreeCommander XE 64bits donor version portable (currently build 689) mainly under two computers, my work computer with Windows XP 64bits and my home computer with Windows 7 64bits
  • Under Windows XP Width and Height columns for images never get populated, only works under Windows 7

Both under XP and 7 tab drag and drop seems a bit skittish. The dragging cursor doesn't immediately appear, one has to move it quite a distance back and forth for it to show up, giving the appearance it is not working.

The same applies to file drag&drop, it only works over the file name column. There already is a "full row select", it would be nice to have a "full row drag&drop". One can't initiate selection by mouse dragging over the file row anyway, so it would be nice if dragging from anywhere in a file row would initiate dragging.

Double click to close tab under Windows 7 doesn't work reliably, it often opens a new duplicate tab instead of closing it, under XP this doesn't seem to happen so often but still occurs from time to time (I use back slanted tabs).
And some small feature request:
  • Full row file/folder drag and drop

(option to?) Disable that annoying "Cannot move ####:The source and destination file names are the same", I would much rather see it silently fail

Is there an option to always open certain folders in a specific file view (say thumbnails), regardless of that tab's current file view?
Anyway, great application, one of the best file managers around. Thanks

alf5000

Re: Several bug reports

#2 Post by alf5000 » 02.04.2015, 13:55

duarte.framos wrote:Under Windows XP Width and Height columns for images never get populated, only works under Windows 7
can't tell anything about WinXP.
duarte.framos wrote:Both under XP and 7 tab drag and drop seems a bit skittish. The dragging cursor doesn't immediately appear, one has to move it quite a distance back and forth for it to show up, giving the appearance it is not working.

The same applies to file drag&drop, it only works over the file name column. There already is a "full row select", it would be nice to have a "full row drag&drop". One can't initiate selection by mouse dragging over the file row anyway, so it would be nice if dragging from anywhere in a file row would initiate dragging.
true, and I also don't like that behavior.
duarte.framos wrote:Double click to close tab under Windows 7 doesn't work reliably, it often opens a new duplicate tab instead of closing it, under XP this doesn't seem to happen so often but still occurs from time to time (I use back slanted tabs).
confirmed.
duarte.framos wrote:And some small feature request:
Full row file/folder drag and drop
+1, but optional
duarte.framos wrote:(option to?) Disable that annoying "Cannot move ####:The source and destination file names are the same", I would much rather see it silently fail
+1 and also provide an option to append a counter to the file/folder names if the destination file names are the same
duarte.framos wrote:Is there an option to always open certain folders in a specific file view (say thumbnails), regardless of that tab's current file view?
+1 and also with customized sort order, and customized view (plain view)
duarte.framos wrote:Anyway, great application, one of the best file managers around. Thanks
+10, it's a marvelous piece of software.

@duarte.framos
I'd suggest to split up to different posts next time, so answering would be much easier.
or at least number your various topics.
(win10pro x64) - (latest FCXE x64 portable)

duarte.framos

#3 Post by duarte.framos » 02.04.2015, 14:13

alf5000 wrote:can't tell anything about WinXP.
yeah I know, old-ass OS! Damn vintage work computers... not bound to get any upgrades any time soon unfortunately.
alf5000 wrote:confirmed. Image
Yeah sounds troublesome, I don't have the second option active though.
alf5000 wrote:+1 and also provide an option to append a counter to the file/folder names if the destination file names are the same
alf5000 wrote:+1 and also with customized sort order, and customized view (plain view)
Number appending would be great too, also if the customizable sort order is implemented, drag and dropping in the same folder could start behaving like in windows explorer which defaults to custom sorting, I believe.
alf5000 wrote:@duarte.framos
I'd suggest to split up to different posts next time, so answering would be much easier.
or at least number your various topics.
My apologies, didn't want to pollute the forum too much, will do next time.
Anyway thanks for the answers. :wink:

Karol

#4 Post by Karol » 02.04.2015, 16:49

Is there an option to always open certain folders in a specific file view (say thumbnails), regardless of that tab's current file view?
+1 and also with customized sort order, and customized view (plain view)
Check the dialog for favorite folder definition.

duarte.framos

#5 Post by duarte.framos » 02.04.2015, 17:03

Karol wrote:Check the dialog for favorite folder definition.
Cool this is a start, but only works if you press the favorites button, not if you manually navigate there.
Windows explorer somehow saves this somewhere, probably some central database, although it is very skittish and doesn't always correctly remember per folder preferences.

alf5000

#6 Post by alf5000 » 02.04.2015, 18:57

Karol wrote:Check the dialog for favorite folder definition.
yes that's a start, indeed.

my wishes:
1) now also implement the 3 Plain View modes

2) integrate these options into Custom profiles dialogue, too
(win10pro x64) - (latest FCXE x64 portable)