672 - File rename/move operations sometimes hang

Bugs and issues - current donor version.
AimHere

672 - File rename/move operations sometimes hang

#1 Post by AimHere » 06.10.2014, 17:07

FCXE 64-bit build 672 donor. Windows 7 x64 SP1.

Sometimes, when I am renaming files, I see the "Renaming file" window with progress bar appear, but the "progress bar" makes no progress no matter how long I wait. If I try to cancel it, its status changes to "Canceling..." but it never goes away. At this point, FCXE's main window becomes unresponsive, and I have no choice but to kill FCXE from Task Manager.

When I then go back to the folder where I was renaming the file(s), I find that the filename DID in fact get changed. It's just that FCXE never removed/closed the status window before I killed it.

The same thing sometimes happens when I copy or move a file. Again, I get the "Copying..." or "Moving..." window, but no progress occurs on the progress bar, and clicking close or cancel changes it to "Canceling..." but it never finishes. And again, afterwards I can go into the folder(s) and see that the operation did complete.

The key thing is, both of these issues seem to happen when I am doing multiple rename/copy/move operations in a sequence, RAPIDLY. That is, without really waiting for one operation to complete before starting another.

For example, suppose I have some folders (FolderA, FolderB, FolderC, etc.) visible in the left panel's navigation tree, and each folder has just one file that I want to move to the folder shown in the right panel. I click on FolderA, click the file I want, click Move, then quickly click FolderB in the navigation panel before the first operation is complete (that is, before both panels have refreshed to show the changes). I keep repeating this sequence of actions for as many as several dozen folders and files. Most of the time everything works okay, but maybe one time out of five the "Move" window appears and never goes away, and then I have to kill FXCE and launch a new instance before I can continue.

This issue is kind of annoying, as I have to deliberately slow down my actions in order to keep FCXE from hanging.

Any ideas on keeping this from happening?

Aimhere

(P.S. - the problem happens far more frequently when copying/moving files than when renaming, as such operations naturally take much longer to complete, such that I have time to click on another folder. But I have seen it happen when renaming files on a network folder as well.)