FC 591: Invalid directory name error + column spacing

Bugs and issues - current donor version.
Dominik Rutschmann

FC 591: Invalid directory name error + column spacing

#1 Post by Dominik Rutschmann » 13.05.2012, 13:05

After a while of using FC I encounter the well known "The directory name is invalid" message, if I want to rightclick an item. After a restart of FC everything works as expected for a time until the error occurs agein. But alas i can't say by what this error is triggered. To me it seems that this error occurs completely random.

Another bug (?) or just a design problem is that FC doesn't remember the size of the columns in the detail view. I like it to have a relatively big column for the filename, so I pull the column bigger. But after a restart of FC all the columns are set back to their standard sizes. So please make FC to remember the size in general, and not for a specific folder.

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate Professional Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1
Report Date: Sonntag 13 Mai 2012 at 13:04

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<< System Summary >>>

> Mainboard : LENOVO 776258G

> Chipset : Intel GM965

> Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile L7500 @ 1600MHz

> Physical Memory : 4096MBDDR2-SDRAM

> Video Card : Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family

> Hard Disk : OCZ-VERTEX2 ATA Device (120GB)

> CD-Rom Drive : DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device

> DVD-Rom Drive : TGFSPYD XIZ4XY7G1MRG

> Monitor Type : LTN121XP01001 - 12 inches

> Network Card : Intel 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection

> Network Card : Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

> Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate Professional Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

> DirectX : Version 11.00

> Windows Performance Index : 3.1 on 7.9

Karol

Re: FC 591: Invalid directory name error + column spacing

#2 Post by Karol » 14.05.2012, 08:11

After a while of using FC I encounter the well known "The directory name is invalid" message
Could you say us the path of the directory or you get teh message for each directory?
Another bug (?) or just a design problem is that FC doesn't remember the size of the columns in the detail view.
Simply define your own column view under Settings - Custom columns.

js365

Re: FC 591: Invalid directory name error + column spacing

#3 Post by js365 » 21.08.2012, 02:30

Karol wrote:
After a while of using FC I encounter the well known "The directory name is invalid" message
Could you say us the path of the directory or you get teh message for each directory?
Another bug (?) or just a design problem is that FC doesn't remember the size of the columns in the detail view.
Simply define your own column view under Settings - Custom columns.
I have the same bug in the latest version 595, 597 and 598. The public preview version don't have this issue.
I notice it's related to different application
The same folder/filename with different ext -
(folder)/(filename).txt -> trigger the "The directory name is invalid" msg (should be opened with notepad)
(folder)/(filename).jpg -> open with windows photo viewer without issue

My environment
- Windows 7 64bit Eng
- Locale Language - Traditional Chinese (Taiwan)

Here comes the test result I got -
1. This issue happens when the folder is in Simplified Chinese (Unicode) (I haven't tested with other language)
2. The filename doesn't matter - if the folder is in Trad Chinese/English, even the filename is Simp Chinese. It works. If the folder is in Simp Chinese, then this issue occurs.