Silent crashes :-(

Bugs and issues - current donor version.
jasmineM

Silent crashes :-(

#1 Post by jasmineM » 08.01.2021, 15:17

Hi,

using FC quite a while now - in general it is working nicely. However, once in a while it just silently crashes. I get only an entry in the windows event log:

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: FreeCommander.exe, Version: 2020.0.0.840, Zeitstempel: 0x5fdbb873
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: ntdll.dll, Version: 10.0.19041.662, Zeitstempel: 0x27bfa5f0
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000374
Fehleroffset: 0x00000000000ff0f9

I guess timestamps and offset are not relevant - error code is usually the same though (sometimes I get an 0005). Also no other windows events (like disk errors etc...)

Running 64bit donor, version 840, on Windows 10 Pro 2004. But I already had the problem on previous versions both of FC and Windows.

It seems to occur mostly for file operations, like copy/paste, drag drop, but sometimes also just by navigating, and I can trigger it more frequently after waking up from hibernation. But not reproducible enough to make it feasible to run portable installation with default settings etc. - I'm really using this in production an do rely on some of the settings. I'm not using any custom plugins though. Also, it doesn't matter whether this is some network location, bitlocker drive etc.

Any hints how to debug this further or maybe avoid the problem? It is not really bad, more annyoing because it always happens when I'd really like to do something important (and it always messes up my open tabs...)

Regards
Jasmine

Marek
Author
Author

Re: Silent crashes :-(

#2 Post by Marek » 08.01.2021, 17:54

The problem occurs in the ntdll.dll - this is Windows file.
Try to search the web for "ntdll.dll 0xc0000374" and you can find thousands of posts.
I can not really help you.
If you use some AV Software - I would try without.
I would check the RAM too.

jasmineM

Re: Silent crashes :-(

#3 Post by jasmineM » 08.01.2021, 18:51

Hi Marek,

thank you for your quick reply. 0x0374 means heap corruption, which actually would likely be an application issue (ntdll is just the canary). However, it can have a gazillion of reasons (like mixing Unicode/non-Unicode somewhere) and I totally understand that without a stack trace this is probably impossible to narrow down.

Just to address your other points:

- AV software is just Windows Defender - I'm not considering to disable it
- It is only FC that crashes without any other explanation given, which makes RAM corruption unlikely, IMHO (though of course not impossible). Anyway, a memscan hasn't shown any problems.
- I do encounter that problem on my office PC, too, which has a different setup. Though I use FC only rarely there, so it takes even longer to encounter that issue.

Anyway, it's not that important to me right now - if anyone else is encountering this, maybe I can try to dig out my rusty crash debugging skills again :-D. Probably some weird location/language/environmental issue - I was hoping I might not be the only one, but apparently I am. Maybe it's the German windows I use or whatever...

Thank you for the work you do with FC, highly appreciated!
Jasmine