Recycle Bin Sorting

Bugs and issues - current donor version.
wrbird

Recycle Bin Sorting

#1 Post by wrbird » 01.05.2020, 19:29

I just looked in my recycle bin using FreeCommander XE 2020 Build 818 64-bit donor. Went to sort on Date Deleted and it's not sorting. The other fields seem to sort fine when I select them. Can anyone else confirm this behavior or let me know what I might be doing wrong. I've been using FreeCommander for many many years now and don't recall this problem, though I don't regularly perform this action either.

Thanks

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Recycle Bin Sorting

#2 Post by Dreamer » 01.05.2020, 21:54

Is it broken completely?

Here is a similar bug:

807 - Recycle Bin sorting issue - FreeCommander Forum

There's a workaround, I'm not sure if it's public, but it works here, so you can try it too:
Try to define in the [Form] section (open and close FC first and you can find empty line with TimestampDateSeparator=):
TimestampDateSeparator=.
for your Windows and the sorting should work.
If you want to use sort by date deleted in recycle bin always, check this hint too:

FreeCommander XE "not so obvious" settings - Page 2 - FreeCommander Forum

wrbird

#3 Post by wrbird » 01.05.2020, 22:11

Apparently it's broken completely. I looked at your links and that's a lot of hoopla to go through to get it to work, when it should work with default settings. Hopefully this will get fixed!

Dreamer
Site Admin

#4 Post by Dreamer » 01.05.2020, 22:35

Screenshot would be helpful - even without file names, and some steps to reproduce - can you reproduce it with default settings? When you click to sort by Date Deleted, is it sorted by name, or just randomly? If you press Ctrl+R, is it the same?

I think that bug, reported by me is not easy to fix, that ini workaround works perfect, it's just about adding a dot (".") to one line in the .ini file.

Regarding that guide, it looks complicated, but it's not like that, I think it's the only solution for now, to always sort the recycle bin items by Date Deleted, but you don't have to use it to fix the bug.

BTW I can't reproduce the bug, except that one reported in the other topic (with the ini fix).

FC 818 donor 64-bit portable, Windows 10 64-bit 1909.

wrbird

#5 Post by wrbird » 01.05.2020, 22:51

Thanks Dreamer for helping me out here. I haven't made any changes to FC in this regard. I would expect just to click on the column header and have it sort as any other column does. Take a look at the screen video so you can see what's happening.
Attachments
Video_2020-05-01_144546.wmv
(5.42 MiB) Downloaded 385 times

Dreamer
Site Admin

#6 Post by Dreamer » 02.05.2020, 00:23

You're welcome. It looks not good, your date format is too complicated, there is no year, weekday and even AM/PM, I think it will be not easy to fix it.

Perhaps you could change the Windows date format (In Windows Settings), but I'm not sure if it could solve this problem, of course, it would be just a workaround.

If the FC can see just the data from the "Date Deleted" column, it's quite impossible to sort it correctly, sorting alphabetically would be wrong, because of weekday, using just numbers and ignoring letters would be better, but AM/PM would be ignored.

Probably you should wait for Marek, perhaps he will find a way...

BTW Even Windows had/has a problem with this, even if I sorted recycle bin by Date Deleted, option was lost, so I had to change it each time.

What about date (Modified) in other, standard folders, is it working correctly, do you have a weekday and AM/PM there too?

I don't have enough items in my recycle bin to test it, but which language are you using in Windows?

wrbird

#7 Post by wrbird » 02.05.2020, 01:10

I haven't changed anything with the date format and Windows recycle bin sort on date deleted as expected. It's definitely an FC issue.

Date modified format in RB is the same as date deleted and it sorts as expected. All other folders sort correctly. The problem is only when trying to sort the date deleted column in the RB.

English language.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#8 Post by Dreamer » 02.05.2020, 12:01

OK, I can reproduce it with default settings.

Just click the "Date Deleted" column header, once, or twice.

I think it was broken with this option only:
- F12 > View > File/folder list > Sorting > use option "Alphabetical - string sort"

Now it's broken even with default option (Natural sorting).
fcbinbugScreenshot_05022020_114628.png
fcbinbugScreenshot_05022020_114628.png (4.83 KiB) Viewed 8697 times
Auto-refresh after some time, or manual refresh with Ctrl+R fix it here.

Anyway, it works good with the ini fix here, I'm not sure if it works with any language settings, but you can try it too:

- restart FC
- main menu > help > about...
- click to freecommander.ini path
- open freecommander.ini file
- exit FC
- in freecommander.ini file, Notepad or other editor press ctrl+f
- search for TimestampDateSeparator=
- just add a dot there, like this:

TimestampDateSeparator=.

- save the file (ctrl+s)
- open FC

FC 808 64-bit, Windows 10 64-bit 1909.

wrbird

#9 Post by wrbird » 02.05.2020, 14:26

Thank you Dreamer for your work on this, I sure appreciate your help. When I get into work today I'll do your ini fix and let you know what happens.