808 install abend if FC still open

Bugs and issues - current donor version.
dsperber

808 install abend if FC still open

#1 Post by dsperber » 15.12.2019, 23:38

Previous installers would detect during the install script that FC XE was still open, and prompt for an OK to do an "automatic close" of the program first in order to then proceed with the install script.

Looks like the 808 installer has been broken. It does not present the prompt when FC XE is still open, but instead crashes.

If I manually close FC XE before getting to this problem point the installation proceeds normally and successfully, with no crash and 808 install completed.

Karol

Re: 808 install abend if FC still open

#2 Post by Karol » 16.12.2019, 08:25

Short search by Google and you can see, the file is from Bitdefender https://www.freefixer.com/library/file/ ... ll-275182/
Your Bitdefender was updated probably.

dsperber

#3 Post by dsperber » 16.12.2019, 17:32

Hmmm... you're right. That file is from BitDefender.

Never had this failure before 808. But I just retried the install of 807 and it failed exactly the same way as 808 did.

I tried adding a BitDefender application exception for the FCXE installer, but that had no effect. So either I didn't do it correctly or I needed to add a different type of exception, or the program name I needed to add is not that of the FCXE installer file itself.

In any case I will contact BitDefender and let them know. This is definitely something new, and absolutely related to FCXE still being open at that point in the install script which triggers the conflict detected by the installer and which previously used to successfully trigger the "FCXE is open, should I automatically close it?". Something must have been changed recently in BitDefender to cause this.

Thanks for the heads-up.

dsperber

#4 Post by dsperber » 16.12.2019, 19:20

Have opened a ticket with BitDefender.

Turns out simply disabling their "Exploit Detection" (sub-feature of "Advanced Threat Defense") did not prevent the abend. Still occurred.

But when completely disabling "Advanced Threat Defense", well now the abend disappeared and the expected FCXE window about "FCXE is currently open..." once again appeared as it always has in the past.

They've been advised now, and will chase down whatever recent change they made which is responsible for this.

Thanks again for directing me to them as the "culprit".