Better handling of ZIPped application file formats

Discussion and questions - donor version.
LWillms

Better handling of ZIPped application file formats

#1 Post by LWillms » 10.03.2019, 10:15

Quite a number of applications store their files in a ZIPped container format. Microsofts DOCX, XLSX etc are examples, most other use the OCF, the Open Container Format, also known as OEBPS Container Format in the specification for E-Books in the ePUB format, also Java's .jar archives, Open Document, compressed MusicXML and others. For ePUB the description is here.

Using ALT-F6 or the icon in header of the FreeCommander Window, I can extract the contents of those files, but I want more.

I want to be able to open those ZIPped archives as a directory, without having to rename that archive to the extension ZIP.

So that when pressing ENTER, the application is started with this file as command line parameter, but when pressing CTRL-ENTER, it is being opened as directory, just like a file with extension ZIP on pressing ENTER (ALT-ENTER and SHIFT-ENTER are already assigned to other funtions — see FILE menu).

I work a lot with EPUB-Files, and having to rename the file repeatedly beween extensions ZIP and EPUB is quite a hassle.

Another request concerns the icon and ALT-F5 for compressing files to an archive. While FreeCommander unZIPs the EPUB files without having changed the file name extension to ZIP, I would like to be able to specify the file name extension in the dialogue which is being opened to EPUB instead of ZIP, so that I do not have to rename the resulting ZIP file to an EPUB file (footnote: the EPUB-standard says that the extension "epub" should be written in lower case letters).

Actually I can change the file name extension in the file compression dialogue, but FreeCommander does not respect my change and writes it as ZIP anyway.

Thanks for your attention!

LWillms

Re: Better handling of ZIPped application file formats

#2 Post by LWillms » 10.03.2019, 11:28

Oops — i've just noticed that CTRL-ENTER does move the file name into the command line window.

But apparently CTRL-ALT-ENTER seems to be free for the new function suggested in my intial contribution.

Timon

#3 Post by Timon » 10.03.2019, 19:14

With Ctrl+PageDown you can open any file (with any extension) as archive.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#4 Post by Dreamer » 10.03.2019, 19:41

Timon wrote: 10.03.2019, 19:14 With Ctrl+PageDown you can open any file (with any extension) as archive.
This shortcut is customizable, so you can assign any.

LWillms

#5 Post by LWillms » 11.03.2019, 12:41

Timon wrote: 10.03.2019, 19:14 With Ctrl+PageDown you can open any file (with any extension) as archive.
Oh! I didn't know that!

Thank you very much!

This resolves my request.