How to make a converter?

Discussion and questions - donor version.
Florent

How to make a converter?

#1 Post by Florent » 01.12.2018, 20:46

Hello,

I am trying to view the content of a zip file (i.e. folders and files) in the Quick View panel instead of the crypto characters that are displayed in standard.
I thought one way to achieve this was to use 7z.exe (command line version of 7z) as a converter like xdoc2text.exe in “Configure Viewer” settings. But after several attempts, it doesn’t seem to work.
After reading this help file page a couple times (https://freecommander.com/fchelpxe/en/F ... erter.html) I am starting to think that converters are more specific than just a command line that gives text as output from any given input file.

Is it possible to create (easily) a converter for any given purpose?
What are the rules to follow?

Marek
Author
Author

Re: How to make a converter?

#2 Post by Marek » 01.12.2018, 22:00

You can see the content of the archive file simply with ENTER or double click.

Florent

#3 Post by Florent » 02.12.2018, 12:45

Thank you Marek but my problem is not in viewing or extracting zip files, I just want to know more about the inner working of converters and how to make one.
The zip file is an example of what I think/hope is possible to do with them in Quick View panel.

I have been using FC for years now only for the tabs and dual window until I finally read a bit of the manual and discovered I was merely using 1% of the capabilities of the program.
It really is a powerful tool with great features: rename files in batch using regex, search content of PDF files, configure favorite tool shortcuts, etc. and I am just starting to use them.

I still have plenty to tinker with in the thousands of parameters and, at the moment, I am trying to make the most out of converters.
They are mentioned in "Configure Viewer" and "Search files/folders" parameters but the only example is xdoc2txt.exe which takes only one line in the parameters table.
So my guess is that other converters are possible.

Where can I find other examples of converters?
And what are the requirements to make a converter?

Florent

#4 Post by Florent » 02.12.2018, 13:04

To take the "zip file" example again, I tried to configure a converter with 7z.exe (which is the command line version of 7zFM.exe we currently use with GUI).
Writing the following code in a console displays the content of "test.zip":

Code: Select all

PS D:\folder> .\7z.exe l test.zip
I thought it would be easy to have the Quick View panel display the content of a zip file but I cannot make it work.

I also tried to make a simple PowerShell script to output text but cannot make it work either.
Here is (one of) the configuration(s) I tried:
http://www.noelshack.com/2018-48-7-1543 ... verter.jpg

Hence the questions I asked on the previous post.