Remapped Network Drives Disappear [SOLVED]

Discussion and questions - donor version.
Skipster

Remapped Network Drives Disappear [SOLVED]

#1 Post by Skipster » 25.10.2018, 11:25

Hi

Our IT department have implemented a policy that remaps our network drives when a policy update is run.
At the moment this policy disconnects the drives and then re-adds them (which causes other problems I'm in discussions with them about).

After boot up FC can see the drives fine, however when they are remapped, the drives disappear from the drive bar in FC and I cannot connect to them by entering the path in the path box (e.g. S:\)
The drives are fine in Window Explorer.
I have connect the drive manually for it to work again in FC (using the Tools - Connect to network drive menu command).

Any idea where I can look to see why FC can't access the re-mapped drives, even though they are in Windows Explorer?

I'm on build 784 64bit.
Last edited by Skipster on 13.11.2018, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.

Karol

Re: Remapped Network Drives Disappear

#2 Post by Karol » 25.10.2018, 16:36

If the mapping is created with other user - you can not see the mapped drives.

Skipster

#3 Post by Skipster » 26.10.2018, 16:03

Thanks for the reply, I think I've managed to track down how the drives are being mapped, and the user seems to be the same.
The only difference I can see from the results is that the one that doesn't work in FC is remember and persistent whereas the one that works is not
Apologies for the formatting
Not visible in FC
wmic netuse where LocalName="S:"
AccessMask Caption Comment ConnectionState ConnectionType Description DisplayType InstallDate LocalName Name Persistent ProviderName RemoteName RemotePath ResourceType Status UserName
1179785 RESOURCE REMEMBERED Connected Persistent Connection RESOURCE REMEMBERED - Microsoft Windows Network Share s: \\myservername\pathforshare (s:) TRUE Microsoft Windows Network \\myservername\pathforshare \\myservername\pathforshare Disk OK NetworkDomain\UserLogin

Visible in FC
wmic netuse where LocalName="S:"
AccessMask Caption Comment ConnectionState ConnectionType Description DisplayType InstallDate LocalName Name Persistent ProviderName RemoteName RemotePath ResourceType Status UserName
1179785 RESOURCE CONNECTED Connected Current Connection RESOURCE CONNECTED - Microsoft Windows Network Share S: \\myservername\pathforshare (S:) FALSE Microsoft Windows Network \\myservername\pathforshare \\myservername\pathforshare Disk OK NetworkDomain\UserLogin

Skipster

#4 Post by Skipster » 13.11.2018, 12:21

I've finally resolved it.
The drives disappearing during a Windows session when a policy refresh was implemented was fixed by changing the drive connection method from Replace to Update.
However I still had issues after first login, and I think something either got confused when I was temporarily using UAC (now disabled) or something else was wrong.
Anyway the drives were being mapped as a normal user, and I was running FreeCommander as an admin so I can access and update system files, which then meant I couldn't see the network drives. The same issue affected an elevated Command Prompt.
This situation was nicely described here (along with a fix)
http://woshub.com/how-to-access-mapped- ... ated-apps/
The registry change fixed it for me
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v "EnableLinkedConnections" /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001 /f
So pleased I've got this resolved :-)