Anything like group sort? Like MS Outlook?

Discussion and questions - donor version.
Freenot

Anything like group sort? Like MS Outlook?

#1 Post by Freenot » 05.08.2017, 05:31

I like how versatile Freecommander is with sorting and filtering, but I'd like to see a choice to sort files in groups such as Outlook. Something like files grouped by today, this week, last week, last month, etc. to give some relief to the eye.

Sometimes I open folders I'm working in and the list of files is so long, it's hard to find what I want.

I know I can sort it so the day's files are at the top, but it would be nice to have them broken in groups as well. And maybe with a thin line between groups, with some sort of header and a way to twirl close the least used groups.

There used to be an old File Explorer replacement that did this but I can't remember what it was. It was my favorite feature in it.

Freenot

Re: Anything like group sort? Like MS Outlook?

#2 Post by Freenot » 05.08.2017, 15:35

I realized you can do this in Windows built-in explorer. Am I just missing how to use "Group by" in Freecommander?

Dreamer
Site Admin

#3 Post by Dreamer » 05.08.2017, 20:19

Just a workaround, you can use Items color option:

http://www.freecommander.com/fchelpxe/e ... color.html

Click the green + button "Add new color class" and use option "Date modified - not older than" X Days, Weeks...

You can use different font colors for newer and older files, then it will be looking as groups.

Freenot

#4 Post by Freenot » 05.08.2017, 22:29

Yes, thank you, Dreamer. That is a pretty good work around and I'll use it for now.

Still would like to see the twirl down groups and headers, which add some relief by adding a bit of blank space in the list. Just set it up to "sort by groups" and by date (which is what I want) and be done.

Thanks again.