New releases and backed up customized settings

Discussion and questions - donor version.
GregT

New releases and backed up customized settings

#1 Post by GregT » 28.10.2015, 16:11

I use x64 portable version. Does restoring backed up customized settings wipeout or break some of the bug fixes and new features in new versions of FC XE?
GregT Win10 Pro x64 FC 8.40

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: New releases and backed up customized settings

#2 Post by Dreamer » 28.10.2015, 21:40

Settings and toolbars between all XE versions are compatible.

Settings between XE and old 2009 version are incompatible.

Anyway, I recommend to backup settings before moving them between different versions.

You can use several installations, folders with different versions, even old and new XE versions, just use the portable versions because of possible conflicts between the settings - to change the installation to portable, open the Settings > Start program > Configuration folder > and select "FreeCommander install folder".

GregT

#3 Post by GregT » 30.10.2015, 04:02

I don't know if I was clear on my explanation. I download new portable versions(builds) as they come out then apply my backed up customized settings to the new build. My question is does this process break or wipeout the bug fixes and improvement that are implemented in the new build.

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss » 30.10.2015, 06:24

"Fixes" go into the executable code, not in the configuration files. Copying your old XE "Settings" folder in the newly downloaded build folder is OK.

GregT

#5 Post by GregT » 30.10.2015, 16:54

I see fixes go in executables but I also see some improvement are tied to the FreeCommander.ini file. If I implement my custom settings the ini file does not have the improvements.

Timon

#6 Post by Timon » 30.10.2015, 17:33

I also see some improvement are tied to the FreeCommander.ini file. If I implement my custom settings the ini file does not have the improvements.
If you talk about the next new options in FC XE 700
- Implemented: New option to define in the freecommander.ini - 'PrefixForBackupSubfolderNames', the default value is 'Bkp_Settings_'
- Implemented: New option to define in the freecommander.ini in the Section [dlgInputBox]: AutoComplete=0. With AutoComplete=1 will be auto completion activated in e.g. "Go to folder", "New folder" dialogs.
- Implemented: Define "RightClickEmptySpaceFcMenu=0" in the freecommander.ini [Form] section, if you like show the default context menu on free space right click
then they are NOT automatically added to freecommander.ini file. You have to add them yourself manually!

If you can't find some of the the appropriate options in Tools - Settings, then that setting is not present in freecommander.ini by default. Such option is kind of "tweak" for experts.

So you can without any problems apply your custom settings, but if you need more "tuning" add them to your ini file.