Issue: Freecommander overrides MD5 file association...

Discussion and questions - donor version.
CTRL_ALT_DEL

Issue: Freecommander overrides MD5 file association...

#1 Post by CTRL_ALT_DEL » 17.05.2014, 00:18

...and forces user to use Freecommander's MD5 file verification.

Marek, I think it's nice that you provide MD5 verification, but may I ask why you're forcing users to use Freecommander's file verification? Have you considered the fact that some of your users prefer using a dedicated app that has more options, or use the same app they've been using for years as in my case?

Making matters worse, I can't even get your file verification to work! I get a "Data Load Error". So I'm stuck using Freecommander's broken file verification because it's overriding MD5's association with ilSFV.

Yeah, I could just stop using Freecommander, but that would be just silly. Would it be too much to ask for you to use file association for MD5 verification in future releases? If I could just disable Freecommander's attachment to MD5, I could use Freecommander for my file management, and ilSFV for file verification. That would be my preference, but until then I'm stuck with this dreaded "Data Load Error".

Zorkoff

Re: Issue: Freecommander overrides MD5 file association...

#2 Post by Zorkoff » 17.05.2014, 16:29

I agree that double clicking an MD5 file causes FreeCommander to attempt to verify the file.

However, as a possible fix to your problem, if you have a Windows association established for file extension MD5, when you right click the MD5 file and select open, the program associated with the extension is run. Also, you can select "Open with" to choose other programs.

This may not be the most elegant solution, but it does allow you to work with FreeCommander.

I hope this helps

CTRL_ALT_DEL

#3 Post by CTRL_ALT_DEL » 21.05.2014, 12:50

Thanks for that info. Using the "open" command is the workaround I've been using as well. Like you said, it's not an elegant solution. We just need an option to disable Freecommander's control over MD5.

To minimize the hassle, I just won't create any more MD5 files.

Marek, please fix this behavior. Thanks.

Zorkoff

#4 Post by Zorkoff » 29.05.2014, 18:00

Please note that Marek implemented your suggestion in Beta 661.

Now you can add Md5VerifyUseFC=0 to the [form] section of the FreeCommander.ini file.

At first I did not like losing the verify function, but after adding a Verify MD5 button to my toolbar I can have both actions available.

I have the .md5 extension associated with my text editor to make it easy to verify downloaded files by comparing the checksum listed on the download site (e.g. FileHippo) with the checksum generated by FreeCommander. Having FreeCommander use the associated application is a definite plus.