Cancelling a search for the false network location

Discussion and questions - donor version.
BGM

Cancelling a search for the false network location

#1 Post by BGM » 20.12.2012, 18:20

When we type a network location address into the addressbar, say, for example, \\thiscomputer and that address does not exist, you have to wait for the function to realize that the address does not exist and for it time out.

Now I see in Q-Dir that if you push the escape key, it will abort the search.

This keeps the file-browser from being locked up.

If you *think* you know the location, and then enter it, and when it starts thinking too long, you can cancel it and immediately try another one. If the location exists, usually it will work right away.

I propose therefore, to allow the escape key to abort a search for a network address.

Now, there is the other part of this; FC has the "load network in separate thread" that you can check in the settings. So FC ought to already know what network locations are available. Why should it search again - shouldn't it just know already? Well, it *should* search again because a new location might have become available.

Therefore, I propose also that that same background thread be used to periodically refresh FC's list of known network locations. This way, when you enter a non-existent network location, FC instantly knows whether it exists, and so doesn't spend time searching. Instead, you would be redirected to the default folder you specified in the settings.

If the location cannot be found, it might also be a good idea to display a notice of that in the status bar.
(Windows 10-1909 Professional 64bit)

vladiva

Re: Cancelling a search for the false network location

#2 Post by vladiva » 14.01.2013, 09:09

+1 for this request.

The cancellation makes sense especially in cases when one has misspelled the network name and would try to re-enter it immediately.

BGM

#3 Post by BGM » 16.06.2014, 23:21

This is *still* a problem!

Version 660 on Windows 7 x64 Pro.

Say I type in \\somecomputer to the addressbar and the computer does not have network discovery enabled.
FreeCommander locks up completely and I can't do anything else. If I click on it, it ghosts white and freezes for an entire minute whilst it tries to time out.

Can we have the option to push escape to end the thread? Or at least adjust the timeout?

This has been a very painful problem for a long time. (Thanks, Marek, for all your time!)

vladiva

#4 Post by vladiva » 27.06.2014, 08:07

Even if you put the well-known network name into address bar e.g. \\servername and then put '\' to continue with entering the folder name FC freezes for several seconds before allow entering folder name.

Marek
Author
Author

#5 Post by Marek » 27.06.2014, 16:28

Even if you put the well-known network name into address bar e.g. \\servername and then put '\' to continue with entering the folder name FC freezes for several seconds before allow entering folder name.
If you mean the input in the address bar then you can try to change the PathEditAutoCompleteSource option.

BGM

#6 Post by BGM » 27.06.2014, 18:16

Hi, Marek,

Yes, I mean the addressbar, but no I don't mean autocompletion.

Say I type an address there of a computer on the network. If the computer doesn't exist, FreeCommander freezes up (rather painfully) for quite awhile until it figures out the device does not exist.

I understand it takes time to resolve that, but I want a way to get out of waiting. I would like to push escape and have the thread stop. Or, I'd like an option to set the timeout limit on network device acquisition. I'd set it to something like 15 seconds, and after that FC should abandon the search for the device.

BGM

#7 Post by BGM » 01.08.2014, 15:31

Say, Marek, any progress on this?

BGM

#8 Post by BGM » 07.10.2014, 16:16

Any news on this? I just typed \\somecomputer and had to wait nearly a minute for FreeCommander to return from a ghosted (unresponsive) state where it couldn't be used.