rightclick on free space in file pane

Discussion and questions - donor version.
vsrawat

rightclick on free space in file pane

#1 Post by vsrawat » 18.11.2012, 08:08

601 on w7-64 bit.

on moving the mouse on a file/ folder row, the file/ folder name and even its adjacent free area also appear in blue.

Then, rightclicking on the free space next to the file name still takes file into consideration and shows the rightclick menu "with reference to the file

I personally find Windows explorer method more convenient, where only when the mouse is directly over the file/folder, only then the file is taken into consideration to show the file relative commands. There, if mouse cursor is on the free area next to the file/folder's name, then a general rightclick menu appears that is relevant for general file/ folder management.

main problem is that you are not giving "New" command in rightclick menu when you show "file/folder relative" rightclick menu. NEW command is so much necessary and is used so many times. Currently we have to figure out free space to click so that rightclick menu having NEW command appears.

Please consider either including NEW command in all rightclick menus, or giving us windows explorer like free space where file/folder relative actions occur as long as cursor is directly on the file/folder name, and the area beyond file/folder name is considered free space to fetch rightclick menu having NEW.

I somehow remember that I have somehow got recently where free space beyond file/folder name was bringing rightclick menu having NEW. Not able to bring that up now.

Thanks.
--
Rawat

alf5000

Re: rightclick on free space in file pane

#2 Post by alf5000 » 18.11.2012, 09:11

try this:
Tools --> Settings --> File/Folder list --> General --> uncheck: Full row select

btw: what do you need the 'New'-command for?
(win10pro x64) - (latest FCXE x64 portable)

vsrawat

#3 Post by vsrawat » 18.11.2012, 09:48

alf5000 wrote:try this:
Tools --> Settings --> File/Folder list --> General --> uncheck: Full row select

btw: what do you need the 'New'-command for?
yeah, I already have that unticked.

when it was ticked, entire row was getting selected, and there was no freespace in the window to get the other rightclick menu.

when it is unticked, the areas under file size, type, date etc are becoming freespace and bringing rightclick menu with New. but, the file/folder name is still full column devoted to NON free space.

have a look at windows explorer working. There just the written name part of file/folder brings file/folder relevant rightclick menu, and the rest of the right area becomes free space.

"New" rightclick option is for creating new files/ folder. there are keys to get that, and areas to click to get that, but it is more convenient as in windows explorer to get it by clicking at "any" free area.

Thanks.
--
Rawat

alf5000

#4 Post by alf5000 » 18.11.2012, 11:19

ahh, I see what you mean. and I surprisingly have to admit I like MS Explorer better in that particular case.

- I normally use F7 for really quick folder creation.
- but I really do miss the ability to create MS Word files easily especially when there is no free screen-space to right-click.
but then again: I'd prefer a more sophisticated (yet simple) F7-dialogue-window to manage all those 'New'-actions.

Marek
Author
Author

#5 Post by Marek » 18.11.2012, 18:46

In the detail view you can right click on the column title (other then "Name") for the same context menu as free space.
The other possibilty is to use the build popup menu in one toolbar button:
- Tools->Customize toolbar...
- Select e.g. "Standard" toolbar
- Add "New text file" command to the toolbar
- Select the added command and klick on details ".."
- Choose for "Use internal popup menu": $FcPopup_ShellNew

alf5000

#6 Post by alf5000 » 18.11.2012, 19:27

Marek wrote:In the detail view you can right click on the column title (other than "Name") for the same context menu as free space.
wow, much better than MS Explorer :)

Can I somehow assign Keyboard-Shortcut to "$FcPopup_ShellNew"? (on my notebook with touchpad I'm a keyboard-junkie)

vsrawat

#7 Post by vsrawat » 18.11.2012, 21:05

I guess that was for " alf5000". :-) just kidding.

for me, please teach me how to bring that "new" to rightclick menu. No problem if this "New" comes in ALL rightclick menus.

Thanks.
--
Rawat

vsrawat

#8 Post by vsrawat » 18.11.2012, 21:06

alf5000 wrote:
Marek wrote:In the detail view you can right click on the column title (other than "Name") for the same context menu as free space.
wow, much better than MS Explorer :)

Can I somehow assign Keyboard-Shortcut to "$FcPopup_ShellNew"? (on my notebook with touchpad I'm a keyboard-junkie)
Already have F7 for that.

you want to assign some other keys?