Network Neighbourhood Not Complete

Discussion and questions - donor version.
BGM

Network Neighbourhood Not Complete

#1 Post by BGM » 28.05.2012, 17:28

Salvete! The network drive icon in the drives bar has the tooltip caption, "My Network Places" but should really be "Network", instead.

Now, when I click on this drive icon, it gives me a list of computers in my workgroup.

Two things:
1. the icons are of folders and not computers, whereas they ought to be computer icons.
2. I only get computers from my own workgroup. We have three workgroups and a domain (we are in transition) - so i should see an icon for the threeworkgroups AND the domain group, and be able to toggle them so as to see the children inside of each one. Right now, the "Network" is so limited for me that I am forced to use Explorer to navigate where I want to go - or else copy the path to the other destinations and put them in Favourites.

A thing of note, here, if I click the "Network" button from the toolbar instead of the drive icon, it is what actually loads "My Network Places" - that is, those network places that I have visited; that is, the "Nethood" (c:\documents and settings\myuser\nethood). I think the name of the button should be "Nethood" instead of "Network" - because it isn't the network at all - rather, it is a list of links to network locations.

Am I missing a setting or a step somewhere? Remember, I am using XP SP3.
(Windows 10-1909 Professional 64bit)