Will FTP be added to the XE Version?

Discussion and questions - donor version.
bloemker

Will FTP be added to the XE Version?

#1 Post by bloemker » 28.03.2012, 06:28

Pardon me if this has already been asked or implemented, but one of the reasons that I chose FreeCommander in the first place was because of built-in FTP. I haven't seen this in the XE version - will this be implemented at some point? Thanks!

inglorious

Re: Will FTP be added to the XE Version?

#2 Post by inglorious » 28.03.2012, 13:10

build-in FTP did not work reliably enough for me to use it, so I don't miss it at all.
there is very good portable freeware for this explicit task like WinSCP or FileZilla, you may add them as your favorite tools in FC.

from my point of view it's not a good idea to implement everything (FTP, Burning CDs, etc.) into FC
because the code certainly will become bloated and more difficult to manage and for this tasks there are already very good portable freeware alternatives. a good example for bloatware is nero - burning rome, which used to be my preferred burning app, but now I rather use slim freeware like CDBurnerXP or ImgBurn.

I believe a good approach would be to to better implement the possible use of third-party tools, which could be selected if desired, for certain tasks like FTP, File Comparison (byte by byte), synchronization etc. On the other hand some internal functions like Multi-Rename or the New Copy Handler seem very well implemented in FC XE, while still some users may prefer to use other solutions.

just my 2 cents...
Win7x64

Dreamer
Site Admin

#3 Post by Dreamer » 28.03.2012, 22:02

http://www.freecommander.com/fc_beta_en.htm

What is planned:

Multi rename tool
Content plugins
Wipe files
File splitting
Folder synchronization
Layouts
Screenshots
FTP client

jackuars

#4 Post by jackuars » 08.06.2013, 04:50

Dreamer wrote:http://www.freecommander.com/fc_beta_en.htm

What is planned:

Multi rename tool
Content plugins
Wipe files
File splitting
Folder synchronization
Layouts
Screenshots
FTP client
Correct me if am wrong, all except FTP client and file splitting are now included right? What about content plugins?

Edit: Why is layouts still in the "To be done" section? Isn't layouts the same as Details/Icons/ Thumbnails etc?

wrbird

#5 Post by wrbird » 14.06.2013, 00:40

I found FTP in the 2009b version to work excellently. :D

m-a-r-k

#6 Post by m-a-r-k » 14.06.2013, 20:23

I really miss FTP, it needs to be included IMO. I find myself loading FreeCommander 2009 whenever I need to access my web site via FTP and copy files.
It works perfectly for me, I don't understand why the code can't be 'copied' over the FreeCommander XE..

dallas7

#7 Post by dallas7 » 23.06.2013, 08:04

inglorious wrote:build-in FTP did not work reliably enough for me to use it ... the code certainly will become bloated
Well, it works perfectly for me and doesn't seem to bloat FC2009 any.

Perhaps instead of a copy-paste from an admin, would Marek be so kind to answer bloemker, jackuars, webird, m-a-r-k and me as well as others who've posted up previous topics wondering the same? Considering the three and a half years this beta has been beta-ing, I respectfully submit this is not too much to ask.

Thank you :!:

Marek
Author
Author

#8 Post by Marek » 24.06.2013, 23:01

FTP will be added to the XE Version but I do not know when.
The next important step for XE is the first final version planned for this year (sure without FTP).

m-a-r-k

#9 Post by m-a-r-k » 25.06.2013, 20:13

Thank you Marek, look forward to it.

m-a-r-k

#10 Post by m-a-r-k » 29.06.2013, 19:33

The alternative is to be able to use Total Commander's SFTP plugin http://www.ghisler.com/plugins.htm
We can already use Packer extensions plugins, so would it be easier in time and effort to enable File system extensions rather than writing the FTP extension to FreeCommander?

Just an idea..

corneliuzuzu

#11 Post by corneliuzuzu » 13.06.2016, 12:07

Just FYI, an alternative until a FC plugin for FTP comes out (tested on my 64-bit Windows 10 machine):

1. install http://www.ferrobackup.com/map-ftp-as-disk.html

2. create a ftp_autostart.bat file, e.g.:
@echo off
start "" "<ftpuse.exe path>" F: <ftp url here> <ftp pass here> /USER:<ftp user here> /NOPASSIVE /HIDE
and place it wherever you want

3. optionally, to automatically create the FTP drive @ windows startup
- open "Task Scheduler", click "Task Scheduler Library", click "Create Task"
- set Name to arbitrary name of your choice
- click "Change User or Group..." and change to "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM", choose "Run with highest privileges"
- go to "Triggers" tab, click "New", select "At startup" for "Begin the task:", make sure "Enabled" is checked and hit OK
- go to "Actions" tab, click "New", set "Action" to "Start a program" and "Program/script" to full path to ftp_autostart.bat, hit OK

4. once the script is executed you can access F: in free-commander (tip: add it to favorites)

Cheers

Karol

#12 Post by Karol » 13.06.2016, 12:12

FTP is available in the beta release 716 http://freecommander.com/en/downloads/.