Can't ZIP files, fc_internal_zip missing

Discussion and questions - donor version.
srunderwood

Can't ZIP files, fc_internal_zip missing

#1 Post by srunderwood » 26.12.2011, 19:01

I hope this is not my being dumb :oops: but I cannot Pack or ZIP files into an archive using a fresh installation of FCXE under Windows 7 Professional (64 bit).

When I try to run the pack command, the archive format drop-down list is empty and I get an error on running. My relevant settings page lists fc_internal_zip as the plugin file but I cannot find any plugin (*.wcx) in the program directory and I cannot find any reference to how to install plugins. There is some discussion about 7ZIP plugins for RAR files and I have found those files online but it is not clear to me how to install into FC.

Thanks anyone for your assistance and compliments of the season to all.

srunderwood

Re: Can't ZIP files, fc_internal_zip missing

#2 Post by srunderwood » 26.12.2011, 22:17

OK, so after another hour or so of playing around, I've managed to get the built-in Pack to ZIP to work. In "Extras-Settings-Archiver Plugins", the drop-down list for "Supported options (607)" needs to be selected to at least one of the options. I selected "Can create new archives" and the Archive format options in File-pack then populate with ZIP, etc and everything works. Strangely, there is nothing to indicate which of the options is active, and it is not clear what the purpose of this dialogue might be,

I think of myself as being pretty computer literate but the workings of this option managed to fool me for some time. I'm curious why the option to write and read ZIP format isn't turned on by default but maybe this can be taken as a suggestion if there is no reason why not.

I hope my experience can save others some time on trying to ZIP files using FCXE.

By the way, marvellous programme otherwise, thank you.

srunderwood

#3 Post by srunderwood » 27.12.2011, 16:43

OK, so after another couple of hours at least fooling around, I've managed to find out how to install and run plugins. Perhaps all you clever people out there know this, but for the benefit of those who don't:

Once you've found the plugin you want (a WCX or WLX file in a folder with a few other bits and pieces) just copy the folder into somewhere sensible, such as freecommander\plugins\WLX\whatever) and then point to the WLX file in the settings dialogue, either Extras-Settings-Archive plugins, or Extras-Settings-viewer-viewer-plugins tab (using FCXE). You may need to tweak a few other fields to get it right. I now have the 7zip.wlx plugin working for making RAR archives and also the ulister.wlx plugin for viewing MSOffice2010 files in the viewing pane.

Two words of warning though: 1 using FreeCommander XE I initially experienced multiple crashes and failures of FCXE to save the plugin I had added. I was on the point of giving up and purchasing Total Commander when magically, it stopped crashing and worked. Who knows what the problem was but I didn't do anything except to keep trying.

2 If you are tempted to use ulister.wlx for Office file viewing (and I would recommend it), make sure you follow the instructions in the readme file that comes with it. You will need to go to an Oracle website, register and accept the T&Cs, download a viewer manager directory and copy the "redist" directory of that into wherever you put the ulister.wlx directory

Hopefully, my time spent over this Christmas season will help some others to save time.

Alfinete

#4 Post by Alfinete » 26.09.2015, 15:45

I think there is a bug in the installer / initial program setup of FC. I could not get the pack function to run, and this has happened many times before, but seems to correct itself with time. This time I needed it to work so I persisted a little further. My findings were these.

I had done a new installation of Win 8.1 on my pc (but this has happened with win 7 as well). I installed FreeCommander XP (build 685). The pack command did not work. The "Archive Format:" drop down box was empty (in the main PACK FILES screen - Alt F5), and its list contents were also empty. Also its "CONFIGURE" button refused to work. So PACK function in FC did not work AT ALL !! Really annoying.

Having followed this forums entries (thanks for those), I decided to twiddle with the Pack Settings options. I went to TOOLS >> SETTINGS >> ARCHIVER PLUGINS. In the screen that opens, in the last drop down box on the right hand side, the title says "Supported Options (607)". I changed this option to "Can create new archives" and clicked OK.

I retried the PACK function ... AND IT WORKED. Everything was as it should be. Taking another look at the "Supported Options (607)" drop down box, it had returned to the default "Supported Options (607)". So there is something weird there.

The fact that PACK DOES NOT WORK ON A FRESH INSTALL (on fresh windows install) is a BUG in my opinion and needs to be addressed by the developer, as it is extremely annoying and ... in my experience ... seems to have persisted over the various iterations of the software.

As for the software in general, its a masterpiece. That is why I have taken the time to make this contribution. I offer my thanks to those who have made this software, not only possible, but also freely available.