849 - Viewer image saving issues and suggestions

Discussion and questions - donor version.
Dreamer
Site Admin

849 - Viewer image saving issues and suggestions

#1 Post by Dreamer » 03.07.2021, 13:54

Multiple issues and suggestions for saving the images in the internal viewer:

1) Save item is missing in main menu - File.

2) Save item is missing in image toolbar, it can't be added in the main viewer toolbar either.

3) Save icon is red and transparent, it looks bad on dark backgrounds, red is not needed IMO.

4) When saving png image as jpg, "(2)" is added to file, it's not needed if using different format.

5) When saving image as jpg, extension "jpeg" is used instead of "jpg" which is a standard.

6) Quality for JPEG file is not preserved when saving a file, it would be useful to preserve the quality value.

7) Type/format for image is not preserved when saving a file using the "Save As" option, last used type/format should be preserved, because it's often used to convert the image to other format. Same format as original is used with "Save" option, when using crop or rotate.

8) Save As dialog has a preview, but when saving an image, preview is missing, because no file is selected. (not sure if it's s FC or Windows issue here)

9) Default keyboard shortcut for "Save As" is Ctrl+S, for "Save" probably no shortcut is used. The standard for "Save" is Ctrl+S and for "Save As" it's Ctrl+Shift+S almost everywhere, not just in image editors/viewers.

Odamn-Ete

Re: 849 - Viewer image saving issues and suggestions

#2 Post by Odamn-Ete » 04.07.2021, 09:39

Hey Dreamer,
thanks for this topic.

Regarding:
1) -3) In my configuration, there wasn't an icon to save in the main menu but the "Save as..." icon was already showing in my image toolbar and the menu, and when configuring the menu toolbar there isn't a "Save" icon available, only the "Save as..." icon. On my machine the icon is rather purple and not red.

4) I can confirm this. I think it is implemented like this to prevent from overwriting an existing file, e.g. I have a .png file in the viewer, click on "Save as..." icon and the file name and extension are the same as the original file but with the added "(2)". When I change the file type to jpg, the file name remains the same, i.e. the "(2)" is not removed.

5) Are you using the IrfanView graphic library? https://freecommander.com/fchelpxe/en/S ... media.html
I am and the use of .jpeg is standard in IrfanView.

6) Regarding the quality, this setting is available when you click on the advanced button

7) As described above, I don't have a "Save" option, only the option "Save as..."

8 ) Confirmed, preview is not displayed.

9) See graphic below, IrfanView File menu

Best Regards,

P.S. Yes, I have my viewer settings to use same settings for viewer and quick viewer, but in reply to your topic, I opened the viewer in a separate instance (F3)

Dreamer
Site Admin

#3 Post by Dreamer » 04.07.2021, 17:07

Thanks for the reply, try to use default settings, or install the portable version to a new location for testing.

5) I'm using XnView, anyway, jpg is a standard extension, I think that (almost) all cameras and smartphones use jpg, not jpeg.

BTW When opening the jpg file in internal viewer, jpg extension is used for Save As, but when opening the png file and changing the format to jpg, jpeg is used - it's not consistent, that's another issue, but the main issue is, that jpg is a standard.

6) I know, it was a suggestion to preserve the quality value when I save another file, currently I have to change it manually every time.

9) IrfanView use many non-standard shortcuts, Ctrl+Shift+S is Save As in XnView Classic, XnView MP, PhotoFiltre, paint.net, Ctrl+S is a global Save shortcut everywhere.

Odamn-Ete

#4 Post by Odamn-Ete » 04.07.2021, 19:24

Dear Dreamer,

Regarding:
5) the official file extension for JPEG files is .jpeg, none the less .jpg as well as .jpe are valid extensions for JPEG files.
Here is a compact article for further reading. https://www.lifewire.com/jpg-jpeg-file-4139913

Regarding the inconsistency you mentioned, I assume it is because Marek has implemented the function to grab the name of the file as present, i.e. if the file is named with an extension .jpeg, then that will be loaded and not .jpg. (As mentioned above, I too can see that the addition of the "(2)" to the file name can become nerving.)
I also assume that when selecting the JPEG file format for saving, the .jpeg extension is provided by the library, which Marek is using to implement the viewer function. IMHO, it would be a waste of time for Marek to write code to override the library default, seeing as Windows is able to handle file extensions with more than 3 characters. This is likely a limitation of the OS of cameras, which is why they still use only three characters.

6) I would also consider this a bug. The last used settings should be saved in the .ini file

9) If you often use keyboard shortcuts, I can see where problems may arise, when there are inconsistencies between different software.

On a note here, IMHO I don't think it is necessary to have a "Save" menu item nor a corresponding icon. It is as the name implies a viewer and not an editor. Regardless of how the function has been named, it is possible to do both with the same function, i.e. it is possible to save a file with the present name as well as save it as a file with a new name and/or extension. Personally, if I want to work with many files, I'll use the appropriate software, which I know from experience will provide the results in the desired quality. The viewer I'll use for "quick and dirty". 8)

Best regards,

Dreamer
Site Admin

#5 Post by Dreamer » 04.07.2021, 21:32

5) It's not about what is the official extension, or allowed, but jpg is used everywhere.

Another problem with jpeg is, that when files are sorted by extension, jpg and jpeg files are in 2 groups, when I edit/save some images in XnView and some in FreeCommander, file order will be broken.

If the edit functions in internal viewer are implemented, both - Save and Save As options are needed.

If I work with many files, I use external image viewer/editor too, but sometime I just need to "convert" format for one or two images, so it can be done in FC quicker, without some issues in this topic.