How to filter by folder name?

Discussion and questions - donor version.
Samse26

How to filter by folder name?

#1 Post by Samse26 » 08.05.2021, 13:26

I'm having a hard time getting my head around filters.
Here is what I want to do: Display the size of all folders that contain the word "old" in the name, located on any level in a folder tree.
I think I need to use a "filter" and not a "search" because in search I don't get the folder sizes, whereas I do get the size in the normal panel with ALT+F9.

Here is what I tried:
1) switch display to "Flat view - folders". ==> being at the root of the tree, this displays only the folders underneath, among them those that I want, plus the folder size (beacuse I switched it on with ALT+F9). Good. Now all I want is for the others (not *old*) to disappear.
2) Specify a filter (Folder -> define filter) with parameters a) on "General tab: consider only: *old*, apply to "files and folders" b) on attribute/size tab: attribute = folder ticked.
However when I apply this filter, my result is empty - not a single folder left in the list.

What am I doing wrong?
TIA

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: How to filter by folder name?

#2 Post by Dreamer » 08.05.2021, 14:37

- "Flat view - folders" Shift+Ctrl+B
- Quick filter Ctrl+Y
- Type "old"
- Size of folder Alt+F9

Alternatively you can use Search, Ctrl+F, search for "old" folders, export to file container Ctrl+E, Alt+F9.

Samse26

#3 Post by Samse26 » 08.05.2021, 14:54

This is how I started, but this doesn't work:
Whatever I type into the "Quick Filter" (ALT+Y) has no effect. It also seems that in the temp. filter I can't specify if I want this to apply to only files or folders. That's why I created a permanent filter, which allows this. But also to no avail.

Samse26

#4 Post by Samse26 » 08.05.2021, 15:15

Search with exporting to file container did work! Never knew about this filecontainer-thingy ...
Now finally I'd like to export the result (folder list + sizes) into a txt/csv/xlsx file.
I tried Folders -> Create folder list, but I either get a list including all files contained in the folders (with their individual size) or - if I uncheck "including files and subfolders" - only the list of folders, but not their sizes. I'd like to simply export what I see in the file container pane, as per the columns that I configured (Path, Name, size).
Is there any way to do this?

And still I'd like to understand how I'd get to the result using filters. (BTW I'm using XE 2021 Build 845 64-bit donor in Windows)

Samse26

#5 Post by Samse26 » 15.05.2021, 12:13

Is there any way to do this?
OK, Marek provided the solution to this in the German FC forum:
Select desired rows in filecontainer, then click Edit / Copy -> Clipboard / Copy details to clipboard
This will copy the selected rows with values in all columns (TAB-separated) to the clipboard.
BTW: Colum headers are not exported.