Quick View - Option to show nothing?

Discussion and questions - donor version.
Greenfraggle

Quick View - Option to show nothing?

#1 Post by Greenfraggle » 20.06.2018, 07:46

Hi,

I have Quick View open at all times, and find it useful.

However, is there a way to set certain File Types (eg *.zip, *.mdb, *.pff, *.exe) to show nothing in the Quick View panel (and thus not place a lock on the file). Similar to how WindowsExplorer simply shows 'No preview available'.
This is similar to the query by Context in Nov2017 of Can Quick View of ZIP display an icon? https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtop ... iew#p26517

I am hitting issues where other programs cannot access or run certain tasks against certain file types due to FreeCommander's Quick Viewer showing the file in the Quick Viewer - (the viewer is displaying the machine code - which I dont need to see).
For example: Double-clicking on a Microsoft access database (*.mdb) will open the database, however I cant then do Compact and Repair Database until I go back to FreeCommander and click on a different file to stop the one I am working on being held open by the Quick Viewer.

I've gone into Tools - Settings - View - Viewer - Viewer (Use same settings for viewer and quick viewer is ticked)
But cant see anywhere to exclude file types. I have unticked Auto-detect text files, which doesn't help. Is there a setting of File types - as DoNothing in an .INI file ?

Thanks for your time

Version: FreeCommander XE2018 Build 775 6-bit donor
Machine: Windows 7 Professional 64bit

Karol

Re: Quick View - Option to show nothing?

#2 Post by Karol » 20.06.2018, 08:16

Similar to how WindowsExplorer simply shows 'No preview available'.
Try this solution :).
Simply define the extensions you want (eg *.zip, *.mdb, *.pff, *.exe) in the field "as Windows preview" of the viewer settings.

Greenfraggle

#3 Post by Greenfraggle » 20.06.2018, 12:59

Thanks a lot for the reply Karol,

This is a partial solution; although there are still issues with this.

I set the extensions in Windows Preview as suggested, followed by OK, APPLY, OK
Those extensions now show as No Preview available, and the files can be opened and worked on (ie they are no longer locked by the FreeCommander Quick View).

However:
1) Having the file .MDB open & running a compact, or having the .PFF opened in its application, will cause FreeCommander to show a pop-up 'Cannot open the file <filename>' if navigating through the folder and that file is selected. So FreeCommander must still try to access the locked file contents prior to passing it to the Windows Preview.
2) there appears to be a bug where it will flip back to showing the contents via the viewer. An example is, pressing CNTL-Q to hide the QuickView window, then CNTL-Q again to re-show the QuickView window will revert back to showing the contents instead of No Preview available. Clicking Tools - Settings - Viewer (as view-viewer settings are already showing) still shows the added extensions in 'as Windows preview', and clicking OK, APPLY, OK fixes it again.
3) If I do TOOLS - SAVE SETTINGS, close and re-open FREECOMMANDER the extensions I added don't actually get saved, and I need to re-add them. As a work-around I manually added the extensions into my FreeCommander.ini file under the ExtList4WinPreview= setting. This made the settings stick and also fixed the CNTL-Q hide/show issue (I cant remember what other thing I did that made it flip back to showing the contents to test that).

So, Thanks again Karol. I am using your suggestion, and really appreciate the reply. Although does a more complete option of 'QuickView-DoNothing' currently exist, or does anyone else think it is a worthwhile enhancement to request ?

Marek
Author
Author

#4 Post by Marek » 20.06.2018, 21:39

I think an ignore list might be useful.
I will implement it in one of the next releases.

Greenfraggle

#5 Post by Greenfraggle » 21.06.2018, 02:20

Thanks Marek :)