A few minor suggestions for the beta...

Suggestions and feature requests.
MrDoomMaster

A few minor suggestions for the beta...

#1 Post by MrDoomMaster » 09.04.2008, 16:00

I have two feature requests:

1) Provide a "New" option under the "File" menu which creates a file without an extension and has it in name-edit mode. For example, I want to be able to bind "New Folder" to F7 and "New File" to F8, and the new file generated could be named "New File" by default (no extension), and I can give it a custom extension when I rename it.

2) Provide the ability to bind mouse buttons to actions. For example, I want to be able to bind "Back" and "Forward" to mouse buttons. I do not want to have to go through third party applications to make this work, I think FreeCommander could make this work easily.

Thanks for a great application and I hope to see these features implemented!

Marek
Author
Author

#2 Post by Marek » 28.04.2008, 21:26

1) Provide a "New" option under the "File" menu which creates a file without an extension and has it in name-edit mode. For example, I want to be able to bind "New Folder" to F7 and "New File" to F8, and the new file generated could be named "New File" by default (no extension), and I can give it a custom extension when I rename it.
In the current beta you can use Shift+Ctrl+N for creating a new file. In the toolbar you can activate a "New" pushbutton. Under Extras->Keyboard shortcuts... you can redefine Shift+Ctrl+N to F8.
2) Provide the ability to bind mouse buttons to actions. For example, I want to be able to bind "Back" and "Forward" to mouse buttons. I do not want to have to go through third party applications to make this work, I think FreeCommander could make this work easily.
Try to describe, how should it work with 3 key mouse.

MrDoomMaster

#3 Post by MrDoomMaster » 28.04.2008, 21:39

Marek wrote:
In the current beta you can use Shift+Ctrl+N for creating a new file. In the toolbar you can activate a "New" pushbutton. Under Extras->Keyboard shortcuts... you can redefine Shift+Ctrl+N to F8.
Try to describe, how should it work with 3 key mouse.
Thanks for your response.

In regards to mouse input, not all mice are limited to 3 buttons. They sometimes have 4 or 5. The keys I'm specifically concerned about are:

Middle Click
Button 4
Button 5
SHIFT+Left Click
SHIFT+CTRL+Right Click

Binding "Left Click" and "Right Click" directly should not be allowed, as they have a reserved functionality.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#4 Post by Dreamer » 28.04.2008, 22:52

First, read the forum rules before posting - one request per topic, search before posting...

2. Already suggested, please add your support here:

http://forum.freecommander.com/viewtopic.php?t=155

You can use also HotkeyP, small 106kB free tool, as workaround.

MrDoomMaster

#5 Post by MrDoomMaster » 28.04.2008, 23:03

Dreamer wrote:First, read the forum rules before posting - one request per topic, search before posting...

2. Already suggested, please add your support here:

http://forum.freecommander.com/viewtopic.php?t=155

You can use also HotkeyP, small 106kB free tool, as workaround.
First of all, I had already searched and found topics regarding this issue, not that you even bothered to assume I had done this in the first place.

Secondly, hijacking other peoples' threads is WRONG and to encourage that is wrong as well.

Thirdly, I did not feel the threads I found on this topic adequately provided a solution to the problem.

Fourthly, I already mentioned that I am not willing to resort to using 3rd party applications for this. I also mentioned that I think FreeCommander should be responsible for such a key binding.

Fifthly, I am not in any immediate need for this feature (#2), which is why I can do without it (along with any third party applications) for a while until it is added.