Undo / Redo

Suggestions and feature requests.
Blackout

Undo / Redo

#1 Post by Blackout » 03.02.2008, 09:12

[i][color=#800000]Topic name changed from "Feature request - "Undo"" to "Undo / Redo" to easily find the topic. -Dreamer[/color][/i]

hi,

obvious one here, ive seen an "undo" request for the Delete action listed on the forum after i did a search, but the "undo" that should reside under the File menu should also include the renaming of files, moving of files from one folder to another, etc. Basically its a fundamental action of the browser to have an "undo"...if you put an undo into it then Freecommander would be world-class and i would donate....

Dreamer
Site Admin

#2 Post by Dreamer » 04.02.2008, 01:41

I like this request. It would be useful also on accidental drag&drop copy/move, for example.

Sub-request: Menu item(s), keyboard shortcut(s) and toolbar button(s) with the subbutton with the list of made actions for Undo - and perhaps also for Redo - what do you think, would Redo be useful for you too?

Blackout

#3 Post by Blackout » 05.08.2008, 16:59

i cant believe there was a new version of Freecommander released and no Undo still...you move somethin and drop the cursor and it disappears into some folder you have no idea of...or where it landed...and you cant undo and try again properly...rediculous...

note to programmer...i would donate if you added Undo...anyone else in?

jollyb

#4 Post by jollyb » 08.09.2008, 00:32

i just erased by mistake 50gb files. i will recover them back, as soon as i find free space on some other computer
but this undo option many users are waiting, and waiting, and waiting.....
i'm using freecommander a long time, it is the best soft this kind, but now i'm considering to stop using it...

please, give us the undo option! :(

EDIT: donations are also considered by me
enjoying to use FreeCommander :)

harl windwolf

#5 Post by harl windwolf » 10.09.2008, 17:52

I totally support this request (*Edit: both Undo and Redo, combined with a list of any previous actions so that they're individually selectable, see the Back/Forward button of Firefox as a visual example, just that the list of previous file operations wouldn't get cleared when undoing one of them).

If I was the creator of a program and used it myself I would definitely want an Undo function and try to add one as soon as possible. It's kind of a basic thing for any program to me.

Using the mouse as a tool to copy or move files (amongst other things) often is an unsure thing. Pressing a key on the keyboard seems more definite, like saying 1 or just Go - but dragging stuff with the mouse and holding a mouse button bear more risks for mistakes. That and because I'm kind of used to do things not using the mouse for other reasons is why I often prefer to use the keyboard for file operations. Even that does not prevent certain mistakes though.

An Undo function would greatly help to correct those mistakes afterwards.

FLiER

#6 Post by FLiER » 11.09.2008, 22:50

Blackout wrote:an "undo" request for the Delete action
jollyb wrote:i just erased by mistake 50gb files.
It's not FreeCommander job, and Undo option won't be able to recover deleted files. It only could be able to undo moving/copying files or creating folders. Nothing else, as I understand.
[url=http://www.cdburnerxp.se/][img]http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2110/cdbxptransmyubarpngzl1.png[/img][/url]

Dreamer
Site Admin

#7 Post by Dreamer » 11.09.2008, 23:31

FLiER wrote:It's not FreeCommander job, and Undo option won't be able to recover deleted files. It only could be able to undo moving/copying files or creating folders. Nothing else, as I understand.
It might be possible, if using recycle bin, it would be esier to press Ctrl+Z or press a toolbar button than open recycle bin and serach for the last deleted file (because it's not saved correctly - in XP and Vista).

Also when moving and rep-lacing the files, FC could move replaced files to recycle bin, then it would be possible to undo also this operation, currently it's more danger than delete, even if using recycle bin.

Undo would be useful also to re-open closed tab, rename item, perhaps also for multi rename...

Important for Undo(Redo) would be also sub-buttons with the list of actions incl. the names, e.g. "delete file abc.ddd", or "rename file abc.d to efg.h"... Otherwise it would be very hard to use and it might be more useless than useful in some cases.

FLiER

#8 Post by FLiER » 12.09.2008, 21:19

Dreamer wrote: It might be possible, if using recycle bin, it would be esier to press Ctrl+Z or press a toolbar button than open recycle bin and serach for the last deleted file (because it's not saved correctly - in XP and Vista).

Also when moving and rep-lacing the files, FC could move replaced files to recycle bin, then it would be possible to undo also this operation, currently it's more danger than delete, even if using recycle bin.
That all is right, but only if using recycle bin. Otherwise it doesn't makes sense. By continuing the idea, there has to be the action limit. So, if you've made an action, it will be able to undo for up to N next actions. In other words, if you've done the delete and have copied/moved/deleted files N times after that delete, it won't be accessible. It's to prevent filling in the recycle and to clear the action history.
Dreamer wrote:Undo would be useful also to re-open closed tab, rename item, perhaps also for multi rename...
Maybe, but it will be hard to determine what you want to undo - copy/move/delete/rename or FC interface actions.
[url=http://www.cdburnerxp.se/][img]http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2110/cdbxptransmyubarpngzl1.png[/img][/url]

Dreamer
Site Admin

#9 Post by Dreamer » 14.09.2008, 00:53

FLiER wrote:
Dreamer wrote:Undo would be useful also to re-open closed tab, rename item, perhaps also for multi rename...
Maybe, but it will be hard to determine what you want to undo - copy/move/delete/rename or FC interface actions.
Not really, with the sub-menu button I have suggested, you could check what you want to undo, you could also undo anything from the list, just by clicking the appropriate line/item, without undo all actions after the one you need.

FLiER

#10 Post by FLiER » 15.09.2008, 16:09

Dreamer wrote:you could also undo anything from the list, just by clicking the appropriate line/item, without undo all actions after the one you need.
I support that.

That's all very good but it's a great pity that Marek doesn't have enough time to do this all... :cry:

JohnFredC

#11 Post by JohnFredC » 24.09.2008, 03:29

Yeh. Dopus has a very effective undo functionality, so it is certainly possible. Just takes a little logic and some code.
Mouse-centric

Pinstripe

#12 Post by Pinstripe » 11.11.2008, 20:55

I agree, it should definately be added. Marek, please!, take this feature into consideration.

CW

#13 Post by CW » 09.12.2008, 04:23

I like this idea VERY much. A common task is to copy or download files from an external device (e.g., from USB stick, or digital photos from a camera or cell phone), rename them, and delete the files from the memory device after copying. The ability to Undo (if copied to the wrong place, or deleted without having a good copy) would be extremely valuable if it could work with attached solid state memory. Selective Undo of single items from a list is also very useful if you delete one wrong file.

bugmenot

#14 Post by bugmenot » 26.01.2009, 00:48

Please add an undo function. Its essential. Thanks

TussFL

Undo 'feature'

#15 Post by TussFL » 16.02.2009, 01:23

I have used this program extensively for the past several years and love it. While its numerous useful features are much appreciated, equally important to me is the fact that the author has resisted the temptation to festoon it with every feature known to mankind--most of which are rarely if ever used--thus assuring that the interface become so badly cluttered as to make it all but unusable. That having been said, for many--even those of us who try to think before acting--the ability to 'undo' actions such as delete, move, and rename is more than just a feature, it's a virtual necessity, and (until this latest release) was just about the only flaw keeping FreeCommander from being--for me--a perfect program. The unfortunate removal of another of my favorite features, off-topic here but certain to be discussed elsewhere in the forum, by me if not by others, coupled with the ongoing lack of an 'undo' feature, means perfection continues to elude, remaining a dream as yet unrealized; but soon, one hopes... soon.