Search Speed

Suggestions and feature requests.
EdiEarlaem

Search Speed

#1 Post by EdiEarlaem » 06.01.2008, 02:41

Great program but file search is too slow. Can you do something like AvaFind by Think Less Do More which uses an initial index and then updates index in real time. Results come while you type just a few file name characters.
Keep up the good work.

Mr-Fly

#2 Post by Mr-Fly » 06.01.2008, 16:44

How should FC detect changes, that have been done without it, like a new word-document.
This kind of stuff only makes sense, if you have a service that is running all the time like the desktop searches do.

Kind Regards
Thorsten

EdiEarlaem

#3 Post by EdiEarlaem » 06.01.2008, 18:36

I have seen Indexing as follows:
Initial scan to create first index,
then scanning in real time for changes
or scheduled scans
or an option to update index with new scan at option of user after program is loaded and running
These methods are all used in AvaFind but that program is only a search program and lacks all the features of FC
Generally you are not searching for a Word doc created or modified 1 hour ago but more likely days or months hence the intial index with periodic updates is sufficient

Hope this is clearer

Mr-Fly

#4 Post by Mr-Fly » 06.01.2008, 20:12

But how would you realize Real Time Scans with freecommander ?
It is not run the whole time, so it cannot detect changes.

Scheduled updates do sometimes make it even worse, as it might tell you "file not found" because the file was written shortly after the scheduled scan.

Thats why I recommend Desktop Searched like Google or MSN Desktop Search for these purposes.

Kind Regards
Thorsten

EdiEarlaem

#5 Post by EdiEarlaem » 07.01.2008, 10:19

I do not know how AvaFind do it (algorithm) but to get around your potential problem they say just click Options and select update index before any search. Within seconds what was created or changed 2 minutes earlier is found. Download AvaFind and test what I am saying.

I use X1 for a desktop search engine. Their technology drives the Yahoo desktop search engine. Exalead is also good but I now prefer X1 and worry about Google going off to the internet and being hacked one day with my personal file details available on the internet.

I understood desktop search engines do not find files like word.exe or avafind.exe or outlook.exe. Hence my suggestion for a faster search for such files in FC.

My intention is to promote and make FC a better program. At the moment you need to many programs because most do 80% of the total job of managing files and adding to efficiency but not always the same 80% so thte overlap and programs required just expands.

Thanks for your comments and interest.

Trust this is useful.