Enhanced filename selection for Rename function

Suggestions and feature requests.
AimHere

Enhanced filename selection for Rename function

#1 Post by AimHere » 19.07.2012, 16:18

Hi,

I like how the file rename function can be set up (in settings/file and folder operations) to "select only file name", e.g. selecting only the part before the final "period" (if any) but not the period itself or the extension following it. I prefer not to use the "Rename" dialog, and "select only file name" lets me change only the part of the file name that (usually) matters.

However, I would like to see this extended, if possible, so that pressing F2 repeatedly selects different parts of the file name. It would step through several options:
  • - main file name selected, minus the extension (like it does now)
    - nothing selected, but with the typing cursor positioned after the main part of the file name, just before the period
    - nothing selected again, but this time with the typing cursor at the very beginning of the file name
    - only the extension selected (everything after the final period)
    - the entire filename selected (including period and extension)
Pressing F2 one more time would cycle back to the first option, selecting just the main file name, and so on.

This extra functionality would come in handy on those occasions when I don't want to change the file name completely, only parts of it, or if I actually need to change just the extension. It would greatly reduce the amount of cursor-movement and/or mouse-clicking I have to do in those circumstances.

I use a Windows Explorer extension called "QTTabBar" which has an extended rename function like this, but I miss it in FreeCommander.

Aimhere

(P.S. - The rename options in "Settings/File and folder operations" are a bit misleading. "Select only file name" only applies if "Use dialog window for rename" is UNchecked... if the latter is CHECKED, the "select only file name" option really ought to be ghosted out to avoid confusion. Alternatively, it could be changed to "use only one field" like the option in the "Rename" dialog itself.)