Right click context menu

Suggestions and feature requests.
tylla

Right click context menu

#1 Post by tylla » 27.02.2012, 11:17

I couldn't find this mentioned anywhere, so here it comes.

When one right clicks on an empty place in any file list pane a context menu is shown with view/sort and other options.
What I would like to see is the normal/default context menu of the currently shown directory as it would have shown if I would have right clicked on the folder in a Windows Explorer.

The reason for this is that I'm using version management software a lot, and it is integrated in the context menu. But mostly I want to do something with the currently shown directory, so now I have to go up (leave the current directory), find the previously shown directory and right click on it.

Now that I experimented a bit, I found out that by clicking the ".." special entry I can get the context menu for the current directory, but that's really cumbersome to aim that single entry. It would be more easier to right click on any empty space.

I hope I was clear enough.

Scott_Y

Re: Right click context menu

#2 Post by Scott_Y » 09.04.2012, 09:07

I'm sorry it took so long for you to get a reply to your post.

I am using FC EX 584. I can confirm what you say and would generalize it to this:
- Right-click on an empty space opens the FC context menu with View, Sort, etc.
- Right-click on a file opens Window's context menu with options appropriate for that particular file type.
- Right-click on a folder opens Window's context menu for operations on that folder.

So if you want folder operations on the current folder, it appears that there are only the two ways which you described:
- Right-click on the ... entry (Up to parent folder).
- Go to the parent folder, then right-click on the target folder.

I don't see any setting which modifies that in FC. And I can see how that would be bothersome in your work context where you often need to access a folder menu.

It appears a solution would be to offer an option for changing the context menu when right-clicking on empty space within a folder: (1) FC control options, or (2) Window folder operations on the current folder.

An alternate solution would be if you displayed the folder tree, and the context menu for folders there would show the same menu as when you right-click on the parent folder within a tab (it currently does not show the same context menu).

BTW, Windows 7 Explorer works like FC except that there isn't a ... Go to Parent Folder entry at the top. So how do you normally access folder operations within a folder? That is, do you normally have a way to accomplish what you wish FC could do?

tylla

#3 Post by tylla » 06.08.2012, 16:44

Me too sorry for the late reply... :)

My version is FC EX 591, but it produces the same behavior.

I don't really know about Windows 7, my current OS is (still) WinXp and/or Linux. In Windows XP Explorer this works like a charm. The other file manager that I'm using (and I'm trying to get rid of) is Altap Salamander, it works the same like the Explorer, it displays the context menu of the folder shown.

Yeah an option would be absolutely perfect.

Other solution would be that the context menu would integrate both worlds so to say. Like it could display the current folders context menu on top and the other (now available) folder options below, or the other way around. It doesn't really matter, the main thing would be to be able to access the context menu options of the folder.

I hope this sounds worth for inclusion in some future version.

Marek
Author
Author

#4 Post by Marek » 07.08.2012, 23:02

For the release 598 I have added new item to the FC free space context menu: Context menu...