Search is inconsistent with OpenOffice formats

Bugs and issues.
foxcole

Search is inconsistent with OpenOffice formats

#1 Post by foxcole » 20.02.2008, 18:04

Running FC 2007.10a portable on WinXP Pro SP2.

I was delighted to find that the FC search tool will search OpenOffice file contents! However, in comparing its search results with those from o3find (and searching for known terms), I find that it doesn't always return good results.

I specified a folder to search, one that contains a master document, several sub documents, subfolders, PDF files, and image files. I searched for a word that I know to be contained in at least six documents, and it returned two. However, o3find returned eleven. But searching the same directory for a different word, FC actually found one more file that o3find did. (I was hoping I could get rid of o3find, but perhaps I'd better not just yet.)

I don't know what additional information I could provide that would be actually useful. I've stated the problem but can't provide sample files because they're proprietary in nature, and I don't know what else to offer.

Perhaps it isn't a bug; maybe there's a technical explanation for the different results, although I can't imagine what it might be. The word that returned 2 hits in FC should have returned several more. :?