not possible to launch Freecommander

Bugs and issues.
joq

not possible to launch Freecommander

#1 Post by joq » 20.06.2012, 22:23

Hi,
I have been an heavy user of Freecommander 09.2b for years now. Recently I gave the new version Freecommander XE a spin and that was a joy to work with, just like the original. However, one bright morning earlier this month, something changed and I am now having loads of problems with starting up Freecommander. When I doubleclick on Freecommander, nothing typically happens.Sometimes I am able to launch it immediately after rebooting, but if I close it down and try to launch it again, nothing happens.

I have found that if I right-click on freecommander.exe and selected Run As... and check the Protect my computer.. option, then it will usually start. However, then it will complain about not being able to find the English language file, not being able to write to the .ini file, etc.

I tried installing FC under My Documents, thinking there should be no problems with read/write rights then. Alas it made no difference.

Hope to be able to get FC back in daily use - I love this program!

I am running Windows XP Pro SP3, 32 bit.

Oh, I tried submitting a bug report, too, but that also generated an error.

ralfso

Re: not possible to launch Freecommander

#2 Post by ralfso » 21.06.2012, 08:13

Try to start with the parameter

... freecommander.exe /NewIni=test.ini

FCXE then creates and starts with this new test.ini instead of the freecommander.ini.
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545

joq

#3 Post by joq » 23.08.2012, 17:10

Hi,
based on testing during the past week, it would seem that I have a much better chance of getting Freecommander to start if I disconnect all mapped NW drives BEFORE I shut it down. I use Freecommander on a computer at work, and when I am travelling those NW drives of course are not available...except if I VPN in first. Like I said, I am not sure as to why I see this behavior, but it seems to be consistent.

BobBerger02

#4 Post by BobBerger02 » 24.08.2012, 16:21

I have a similar issue with FreeCommander XE, running on XP SP3. If I launch it, I sometimes see a quick flash on the screen, then it goes away. Looking at Task Manager, I see FreeCommander.exe running as a process, but can't do anything with it except kill it. FC 2009b seems to be running fine (though it did the same thing to me this morning. Once I reinstalled it, it ran fine).

I don't see anything about crashes or errors in the Event Logs, so no clues about what is going on with my system. I've not tried removing the NW drives, but that isn't really an option anyway since I use it on my work computer and need NW shares.

Is there somewhere else that is logged that might point to the cause of the issue? (I tried the New INI switch mentioned in an earlier post, but that didn't help.

Thanks!

ralfso

#5 Post by ralfso » 24.08.2012, 17:06

Have you tested with a new freecommander.ini (s. posting before) or with the portable version of FC.
Maybe the FC-window is only outside the screen. Try to switch to fullscreen on contextmenu of FC in the taskbar.
Or maybe this window-moving helps: viewtopic.php?t=1601#p4628
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545

Marek
Author
Author

#6 Post by Marek » 24.08.2012, 21:27

I have a similar issue with FreeCommander XE, running on XP SP3. If I launch it, I sometimes see a quick flash on the screen, then it goes away. Looking at Task Manager, I see FreeCommander.exe running as a process, but can't do anything with it except kill it.
I have found that the option "Allow only one instance" can not work properly on some PCs. Do not use the option with the current release.