FC does not recognize new digital camera as a drive

Bugs and issues.
jrsva

FC does not recognize new digital camera as a drive

#1 Post by jrsva » 28.02.2012, 06:26

FC ver 2009.02b, I think the latest. WinXP Pro SP3.

When I plug in my old Sony camera into a USB port, FC immediately recognizes it as a disc drive so I can drag and drop files from it to my HDD.

Sadly, the same is not true for my brand new Canon HF S30 camera. FC simply does not see it. Refresh view does not help. However, it is recognized by Windows Explorer, so I know this should be possible. I hope this issue can be investigated and fixed in the new version. BTW, the camera has an internal memory and an SD card. Win Exp sees both of these as drives G: and H:

If anyone has an idea for a fix I would love to hear it.
Best Regards, JRS
XE 2016 Build 717 64-bit donor, Win10 Pro

ralfso

Re: FC does not recognize new digital camera as a drive

#2 Post by ralfso » 28.02.2012, 12:41

Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545

jrsva

#3 Post by jrsva » 28.02.2012, 16:23

Thanks Ralf. That led me to this:
MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) Support
http://forum.freecommander.com/viewtopic.php?t=436

I guess that is my problem. I sure hope Marek can address it in the new FC-XE.
Best Regards, JRS

Marek
Author
Author

#4 Post by Marek » 28.02.2012, 20:44

I have not Canon for testing but you should try the FC XE. Maybe you can see your Canon in the tree.

Scott_Y

#5 Post by Scott_Y » 29.02.2012, 16:45

jrsva's experience is not specific to Canon or any other particular camera or media player, but is entirely related to it being a Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) device -- in contrast to a Mass Storage Class (MSC) device such as USB drives and some cameras and media players.

One significant difference is that MTP devices do not get assigned a drive letter like MSC devices do. That is why they do not show up in the Windows drive chain, including in the drive trees or drive bars of file managers, and in Window's Safely Remove Hardware dialog.

In Windows Explorer and in FC XE, MTP devices appear under Computer, and can be opened in a window the same as any folder on a regular drive. So it appears that FC XE is already providing whatever is natively offered by Windows for MTP support. (Note that I am using Win 7/64, so others will need to confirm for FC XE on other versions of Windows.)

In FC 2009 on Win XP, I could not see how to display Computer, so I could not access my MTP device. Please post a comment if you are able to show an MTP device in FC 2009.

jrsva

#6 Post by jrsva » 29.02.2012, 22:08

Scott_Y wrote:jrsva's experience is not specific to Canon or any other particular camera or media player, but is entirely related to it being a Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) device -- in contrast to a Mass Storage Class (MSC) device such as USB drives and some cameras and media players.
Thanks Scott, That's what I learned from the MTP forum thread but I'm glad to have confirmation.
MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) Support
http://forum.freecommander.com/viewtopic.php?t=436
Scott_Y wrote:One significant difference is that MTP devices do not get assigned a drive letter like MSC devices do. That is why they do not show up in the Windows drive chain, including in the drive trees or drive bars of file managers, and in Window's Safely Remove Hardware dialog.
I just now installed the beta version of FC-XE. What a nice interface! I hope it is not too buggy, being a beta product. It does assign drive letters to the three memories in the Canon HF S30, J: for the internal memory and H: and I: for the two SDHC card slots (on this particular computer). Also, the Safely Remove Hardware feature works nicely. In fact, it lists all 3 drives on one line so I can click just once and then unplug the camera. It does NOT recognize the thumbnails for the pix or video files, so all I have to go on is a numeric file name and the date/time stamp.

I have a newer computer that uses Win7 64 bit. I'm now going to install FC-XE on that and see if it acts the same way. That's the machine that I use for my video files from the HF-S30.

I did a lot of customizing of XE, changing tab colors, etc (don't like the defaults!) and I've searched for any sort of config file but nothing in the XE folder shows a new file date/time when I save my settings. I would really like to customize my new installation simply by copying a config file from here to there. I don't see how to do that. Question: Anyone out there know if this is possible? Marek??
Last edited by jrsva on 29.02.2012, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards, JRS

Marek
Author
Author

#7 Post by Marek » 29.02.2012, 22:13

You can find the location of the freecommander.ini under Help->About: Paths info.

jrsva

#8 Post by jrsva » 01.03.2012, 06:20

I have now installed FC-XE on another computer running Win7 64bit. Just like on XP, it does assign drive letters to the three memories in the Canon HF S30. I've noticed two differences in how XE works under Win7 compared to WinXP:

1. It does recognize the thumbnails for the pix and video files, which is a significant improvement.
2. The Safely Remove Hardware feature lists each of the 3 drives on separate lines, so I have to click 3 times before I can unplug the camera. Less convenient but it works.

(Thanks Marek, I found the .ini files.)
Best Regards, JRS